Purple gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple gloves

Last night I was watching footage of John Pulman against John Spencer, in the final of the 1973 Norwich Union Open. Bill Timms happened to be refeering the match, and he appeared to be wearing (purple gloves) for the final. If my memory serves me rightly, Timms was also donning the same coloured gloves during the 1973 World Final.

My question is, was this the recognized colour for referees gloves at around that time, or was it more simply down to the fact that the colour of Timms gloves matched his shirt?

I have footage of various matches before and just after 1973 with other referees (aside from Timms), who were wearing the traditional white gloves..
    "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

looking at the footage again, the gloves do not match the colour of his shirt as I originally stated. Timms shirt was crimson in colour.

Also interesting to note, was on the one occasion that Spencer asked for the cue-ball to be cleaned, the referee instead of using a ball marker, used his forefinger and middle finger to mark where the cue-ball was, and used his jacket to clean the ball..

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I knew Bill Timms very well and this is the first time that I have heard he refereed big finals. Used to see him most days and often played snooker and billiards with him. He really only went into refereeing as he could not do a lot of good playing and always liked to be centre of attention.
      :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
        I knew Bill Timms very well and this is the first time that I have heard he refereed big finals.
        He also refereed some of the 1976 World Final with Alex Higgins and Ray Reardon, until he complained of feeling poorly, and John Williams refereed the remainder of the match..

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I had stopped playing before 1976.

Comment

I'm hoping someone out there has the answer to my question..

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Working...
            X