Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cues

Hello all,

I play snooker everyday for an hour or 2. Top break is around 40-50 in practice, 25ish in a game.

I am using a handspliced cue that cost about £30 on ebay. Not sure of the spec. I also occasionally use a cue that cost about £5 on ebay (it appears possibly handspliced - says 'Sussex' on it I think). I don't seem to feel much difference between them

There's an awful lot of talk about cues here, and some of you seem to pay an awful lot of money for a cue. How much difference will there be between a £10 cue, a £50 cue, a £100 cue and a £500 cue?

I am currently of the opinion that it doesn't really make too much difference, and when I read some of you saying that the 0.5" missing on the length is making a difference, I think you must be mad. Would someone try to convince me otherwise please?

Thank you

Originally Posted by abram View Post
    Hello all,

I play snooker everyday for an hour or 2. Top break is around 40-50 in practice, 25ish in a game.

I am using a handspliced cue that cost about £30 on ebay. Not sure of the spec. I also occasionally use a cue that cost about £5 on ebay (it appears possibly handspliced - says 'Sussex' on it I think). I don't seem to feel much difference between them

There's an awful lot of talk about cues here, and some of you seem to pay an awful lot of money for a cue. How much difference will there be between a £10 cue, a £50 cue, a £100 cue and a £500 cue?

I am currently of the opinion that it doesn't really make too much difference, and when I read some of you saying that the 0.5" missing on the length is making a difference, I think you must be mad. Would someone try to convince me otherwise please?

Thank you
    I have never played with a cue that is only £5 (is that retail or wholesale price)

Where can you get such a cue?

Is it better than your regular club cue?
    Last edited by poolqjunkie; 1 January 2011, 05:22 AM.
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I really think there are 2 groups of people:

a) Cue lovers, who do not play well.
      b) Good players, who do not care that much about cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by mchpddl1 View Post
        I really think there are 2 groups of people:

a) Cue lovers, who do not play well.
        b) Good players, who do not care that much about cues.
        I belong to Group 1.
        I will prefer to play with a pretty cue instead of playing the game beautifully.
        Hahahahahaaaa

Comment

Originally Posted by willytan View Post
          I belong to Group 1.
          I will prefer to play with a pretty cue instead of playing the game beautifully.
          Hahahahahaaaa
          whats group one willy?

Comment

What about very good players who is very fussy with his cue?
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

What group does Domonic Dale belong to

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                I have never played with a cue that is only £5 (is that retail or wholesale price)

Where can you get such a cue?

Is it better than your regular club cue?

I got it for about £5 off ebay. It is a 2 piece, has a fairly nice feel to it. Looked worth a lot more than £5 to me when I saw it going

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                  What group does Domonic Dale belong to
                  Dom will have to be Split between Both Groups!!...

Never seen a Guy Especially Not a Professional Change his Cue so Often!!!

Althou Dom can Play well above Average with ANY CUE!...ha ha....He Changes his Cue as Often as he Changes his Suits

Good Old Dom.

Comment

Hello all,

Thank you
                    with the greatest respect if you play everyday and only achieve a break of about 25 in a match the game is just not something you are good at, so .05" would make very little difference to you whereas there are a lot of people for whom half an inch longer or shorter they would not be able to use the cue at all, for a good player a cue is an extension of their arm and tiny tiny differences can throw them out completely.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                      with the greatest respect if you play everyday and only achieve a break of about 25 in a match the game is just not something you are good at, so .05" would make very little difference to you whereas there are a lot of people for whom half an inch longer or shorter they would not be able to use the cue at all, for a good player a cue is an extension of their arm and tiny tiny differences can throw them out completely.
                      I've probably only been playing for about 8 weeks in total, with about a 10 week gap in the middle of those 8 weeks.

What I am asking is whether a good cue would make any difference.

Comment

Yes but not until you can deliver the current cue properly.

Comment

It is interesting to see the steroptype that if someone buys a lot of cues then he is not a good player but in reality a lot of cue collectors/cue lovers are good players themselves. I have sold mutiple cues to customers who are century breakers.
                          Some top players also change their playing cues often; some people buy for their collection.
                          To the OP's question, you dont need any of us to convince you of anything. If you cant feel the difference you cant no matter what we tell you.
                          Last edited by poolqjunkie; 2 January 2011, 11:19 PM.
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

a good cue will help you to play better but a good cue does not have to be a £500 cue.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Hello all,

Thank you

My take on this is that many people here an enthusiasts for the tools we use to play the game, as well as for the game itself, to varying degrees.

To answer the question of how much difference there can be in cues of differing values, well, that's kind of difficult to pin down. However, it's possibly fair to say that at times it can be a lot, and at others, not a great deal at all. To state that the difference in "not a lot" though would be wrong, as it will depend on the cues in question.

As for people being "mad" to suggest that 0.5" of length making a major difference to how a cue feels, well, that's just not true. That will depend on what player we are talking about, and, whether they have been used to a cue of a certain length for a long time. If they are very accustomed to a given length of cue, and if that length is critical to them being able to get close to techincally correct on their setup, then yes, it makes a massive difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X