No announcement yet.

Need help for Serbia's snooker sake :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help for Serbia's snooker sake :)

Hi guys,

for the last 2 years I am trying to separate snooker from our national association,as the president of that association has no interest in popularizing snooker. When our president wouldn't want to pay membership fee for EASB so that I could participate in European Championship I've had enough. After pulling some strings() I have finally managed to get the green light from our Ministry of Sport to try to found SNOOKER ASSOCIATION OF SERBIA. SO that is a really great achievement already.

First thing that I need to do is to make some sort of an essay on the subject what are the differences between pool and snooker. I would really appreciate if anyone would like to help me to find all the differences as that is the vital thing in creating two separate organizations.

After I make an essay I will inform you what I need to do next

Please help me as I really want to popularize snooker in Serbia and this is my only chance to get the opportunity to even try... I already have a plan what to do etc. But if I want to start working on that plan I need to organize snooker association.

Thanks in advance
    You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
    BTW vucko means wolfie

What sort of differences do you want? I can think of several categories of differences and how they effect each other.

For example, the rules i.e. everyone shoots the red balls, affects the tactics, you don't leave red balls over pockets, which makes it different to pool.

So, maybe it makes sense to collect/mention differences by category, and talk about how they affect each other.

You could start with the differences in equipment table, balls, etc and then move on to differences in rules, and then to how they both affect tactics and gameplay and in turn how that affects players mentality, i.e. snooker requires greater concentration for a longer period of time, requiring a different sort of player to pool.

Is that the sort of thing you're after?
    "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
    - Linus Pauling

Comment

The way I see it, there are:

the historical point of view (the common roots but the separate evolution of the two sports)
      the institutional point of view (the establishment of the world governing bodies)
      the differences between tables, table equipments, and cues
      the differences between the two set of rules

good luck!
      Winner of the 2009 UK Championship Lucky Dip
      Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest

Comment

Best of luck Wolfie!

The games are as different as Tennis and Squash as far as I'm concerned. Both use racquet and ball, and both use cue and ball. There end the similarities!
        I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

The only thing's that are the same in both sport's is the chalk and tips.

Even the Cloth is different.
          :snooker:

Comment

vucko:

I think your best bet is to start out with the two different world governing bodies and the fact that the IBSF has absolutely nothing to do with any other cue sport (except 'English' billiards as opposed to billiards in general).

Then the difference in equipment, stressing the larger tables for snooker. Go on to the different equipment and noting snooker cues are different from pool cues and Russian pyramid cues.

Finally, stress that pool professionals are not automatically given membership to the professional snooker tour and don't mention the fact that snooker professionals are welcomed by the pool pro associations.

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I've messaged you privately because the EBSA, myself and others have a lot experience in helping the countries and we will gladly lend out assistance to Serbia.
              Janie Watkins
              On Q Promotions / South West Snooker Academy
              All views are my own and in no way represent On Q or the Academy

Comment

Wolfie, I don't think your billiard federation finances pool properly either. I'd be very surprised if anyone other than very very few of your top players get more than peanuts and occasional paid trip to Eurotour. That's virtually nothing. You don't really want to know what money is really spent on. Sorry to be so blunt, but corruption is the name of the game.

Even if you managed to form your own organization, who would finance it? You'd need to pull some heavy strings for that to happen. In the end you'll just have to finance yourself.

In my country we do have national billiard federation which on paper supports pool, snooker and carom billiards disciplines and takes care of all of its members and clubs, pays membership fees to various cue games associations...etc. On paper it is nice, but in reality they finance very very little, extremely little compared to how much they get from national sports body and various other sources. Yes, we did go to European Snooker champs two times in 2008. and 2009., but haven't gone since. There are no cue schools, no academies, no coaches of any kind...never have been...not for any cue game...never...the federation did nothing for player's development...absolutely nothing. Sure, they did send some kids to European Pool Championships for Youth. Of course they got beaten badly. What was to be expected without proper coaching and proper education? It is all going wrong and downhill. About pool, snooker and differences between games? Yeah, they're different, but it's all balls and sticks...nah, it's not even an issue. There's plenty for everyone. The money just does not get spent right.

Comment

Thanks guys for nice wishes and thanks for your suggestions now I have and idea what to write,cheers.

Janie, I have e mailed you thanks.

Aceman, corruption is one of the main reason why I want to create separate organization. I have already found a couple of sponsors who would be willing to finance our new association so money shouldn't be huge problem. My first wish is to make Serbia member of EBSA and IBSF so that we can send our players to the championships. Of course we already have quite big plan but first things first...
                  You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
                  BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

Working...
                  X