Players Leaving The Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players Leaving The Arena

I don't know about anyone else. but I am getting fed up with players leaving the arena after every frame.
    Although I cannot find a definitive rule against this (though ungentlemanly conduct comes pretty close), I think its about time World Snooker put their foot down and told players they can only leave at the mid session interval or at the end of the session.
    It is now beyond a joke with players leaving between EVERY frame.
    (Rant over )
    You are only the best on the day you win.

This subject is constantly brought back into debate.
    I respect your idea, no offense to your view of point.
    But personally, I find those breaks good. To say the least, I can log on to TSF at a short break and post something about the recently ended frame
    All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

its a total joke indeed its about time the ref was given some sort of ruling on this with play having to start with in 30 seconds of the balls being re-racked
      So it's Rorschach and Prozac and everything is groovy
      World Masters - Lucky Dip 2011 winner
      World Championship-Lucky Dip 2011 winner
      Snooker island July 2011 - Australian Open prediction comp winner
      http://www.leaguesnooker.co.uk/

Comment

If the PDC Darts are anything to go by, the breaks will become more and more frequent, perhaps to the point of being encouraged so as to fit in with ad breaks, cuts back to the studio etc. when broadcasters other than the BBC are involved.

Comment

your prob right gerry i can only see it happening more often
          So it's Rorschach and Prozac and everything is groovy
          World Masters - Lucky Dip 2011 winner
          World Championship-Lucky Dip 2011 winner
          Snooker island July 2011 - Australian Open prediction comp winner
          http://www.leaguesnooker.co.uk/

Comment

Well they do drink lots of water so they need to pee quite often. It is understandable, especially after long scrappy frames.

Comment

Well they do drink lots of water so they need to pee quite often. It is understandable, especially after long scrappy frames.
              I can quite easily play 4 or 5 frames, drinking as well, without the need for a pee. And my frames easily take 20 or 30 minutes. How often do you consecutively get 'long drawn out frames'?

If memory serves me, this is a 'modern day' trait. In the early days at Sheffield, the players would just return to their seats and wait for the balls to be re set (NOT RE-RACK; Section 2 Rule 1 - A frame of snooker comprises the period of play from the first stroke with all the balls SET..........).
              You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

I agree. It's way beyond anything reasonable now, and something should be done to put a stop to it, if only to save us from the studio drivel that fills the time, inevitably followed by us missing the break off of the next frame!

I also wish the crowd would not applaud when they do eventually return, it only encourages them, they should be met with a disapproving stony silence (this does happen from time to time, but not often enough).

-
                The fast and the furious,
                The slow and labourious,
                All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                  I agree. It's way beyond anything reasonable now, and something should be done to put a stop to it, if only to save us from the studio drivel that fills the time, inevitably followed by us missing the break off of the next frame!

I also wish the crowd would not applaud when they do eventually return, it only encourages them, they should be met with a disapproving stony silence (this does happen from time to time, but not often enough).

-
                  Plus it's a bit weird applauding someone for successfully having a pee!
                  Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

Agree it is getting too much - What are the guidelines that are in place currently or is it referees discretion?
                    28th April 1985 - the day it all started!

Comment

Originally Posted by nevets View Post
                      Plus it's a bit weird applauding someone for successfully having a pee!
                      Good point. Maybe we're underestimating the audience and their applause is sardonic.

-
                      The slow and labourious,

Comment

Originally Posted by jamesa54321 View Post
                        Agree it is getting too much - What are the guidelines that are in place currently or is it referees discretion?
                        I'm not sure there is a rule covering it, but then again you shouldn't have to treat grown men like little children at school, telling them if and when they can go, and how long they should take.
                        The slow and labourious,

Comment

If they made it "loser pays the table" they would take a lot fewer "comfort breaks".

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
                            If they made it "loser pays the table" they would take a lot fewer "comfort breaks".
                            Yeah, great idea, can you imagine the cost of that at the crucible.

-
                            The slow and labourious,

Comment

God help you if you drew Peter Ebdon. You'd need an hefty overdraft if you kept losing to him!!

Comment

Working...
                              X