Professionalism needed?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DWOT View Post
    All in all, Yer I did the right thing....

Thanks for the frames and advice yesterday Dave, what a fantastic venue for snooker that is. Nice 68 break too from you! I feel that my game is slowly getting there and have to remember how much I've improved since I returned to playing the game, one day soon I know I'm going to have a really decent break and that will give me some good confidence as I can't help but think that once you get past 50 once it can free you up!
    Cheers Dwayne - yes enjoyed our knock on Wed. Just try to remember, nice straight cueing arm - not stuck out like a chicken wing - all in line with the cue and a real loose grip on the cue.

Yes second 68 in a week, and both should have been century's! Give me a shout when you're gonna be free for a knock again. You'll make a 50 no problem - one day it will just click mate...

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerpoolman View Post
      Cheers Dwayne - yes enjoyed our knock on Wed. Just try to remember, nice straight cueing arm - not stuck out like a chicken wing - all in line with the cue and a real loose grip on the cue.

Yes second 68 in a week, and both should have been century's! Give me a shout when you're gonna be free for a knock again. You'll make a 50 no problem - one day it will just click mate...
      Am off to work on just that for an hour or so shortly once the missus gets home!

Will most certainly be up for some more in the not too distant future, top class venue for snooker is that.
      One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

Am off to work on just that for an hour or so shortly once the missus gets home!

Will most certainly be up for some more in the not too distant future, top class venue for snooker is that.
        Nice one. Yes the NE Derbyshire Snooker Centre is prob. best value club in the UK (and therefore the world) for it's quality tables and great atmosphere. Glad you could experience it for yourself the other day. When I have got more time I may organise an open day at the club for TSF members.

Now that the club is EASB approved and they hold regular tournaments there, I guess some TSF members may have already had the pleasure...

Enjoy your practice - I will tomorrow p.m.

Comment

Dont start knocking in those 50 breaks until after a week on Tuesday though Dwayne when we have played you in the league lol.

I've aborted my attempts to put my chin on the cue anyhow (well maybe apart from very long range shots where you need to be that much more precise), I just got chronic backache and still missed just as many, so as much as anything its important to be comfortable on the shot I'd say; delivery of the cue is by far the most important thing to consider I reckon.

Comment

Ah yes the NEDSC, home of Nigel Bond I believe snookerpoolman or at least that was once the case.

I'm hoping to drop off some posters for our league (based around Matlock and Ripley) to some new and old places in the coming months as we hope to boost the numbers for next season.

I know you in Clay Cross are maybe marginally nearer to Chesterfield and play in their league mostly but theres not alot of distance in it, so might be worth seeing if any teams want to double up in both leagues.

We're hoping to branch back out to two divisions next season so the standard of players is more compatible rather than having large handicaps in one division (though that at least makes it more competitive as it stands).

Comment

Originally Posted by pottingpinks View Post
              Dont start knocking in those 50 breaks until after a week on Tuesday though Dwayne when we have played you in the league lol.

I've aborted my attempts to put my chin on the cue anyhow (well maybe apart from very long range shots where you need to be that much more precise), I just got chronic backache and still missed just as many, so as much as anything its important to be comfortable on the shot I'd say; delivery of the cue is by far the most important thing to consider I reckon.
              Might see if I can knock one in on Sunday against you fella, actually sod it, might do it tomorrow night!

Comment

That would be a maximum then, 51 with three reds, three blacks and the colours (for the uninitiated its our quickfire slightly belated Christmas snooker party night).

I'll buy those new balls out of my own pocket if you can manage that!!

Or failing that you can get all the committee drunk and then they will agree to buy the new balls from club funds lol.
                Last edited by pottingpinks; 14 January 2011, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Ah yes the NEDSC, home of Nigel Bond I believe snookerpoolman or at least that was once the case.

I'm hoping to drop off some posters for our league (based around Matlock and Ripley) to some new and old places in the coming months as we hope to boost the numbers for next season.

I know you in Clay Cross are maybe marginally nearer to Chesterfield and play in their league mostly but theres not alot of distance in it, so might be worth seeing if any teams want to double up in both leagues.

We're hoping to branch back out to two divisions next season so the standard of players is more compatible rather than having large handicaps in one division (though that at least makes it more competitive as it stands).
                  Hi - yes bring some posters up to our club. I'm there myself tomorrow p.m. and I'll mention you'll be popping up with them - shouldn't be a problem. There's a notice board in the foyer as you walk in. You might get some interest, particularly from member that live Pilsley / Alfreton side of Clay Cross..

Yes Nigel doesn't practice there anymore as he's had a table at home for the last 5 years or so. Before that he was in most days. Still pops in for a meal or a drink sometimes and comes to present trophies etc...

Got a cabinet full of nice cues and cases avialable when you pop up if any of your league lads need anything??

Dave, Snookerpoolman

Comment

Cheers Dave, sounds good, I always enjoy visiting a club for the first time I must admit so thats part of the reason I'd like to see some new venues in the local league.

Was in Chesterfield the other week (I used to work there) and went in the Sports Bar (next to the bookies) where I occasionally had a game at lunchtimes. OK I often had a bet too!

Was sorry to see all of the upstairs bit was closed off and there was just one table downstairs where you couldnt even get the cue in properly due to lack of room, yet the barman said he was still trying to get a team up for the league.
                    I'd say good luck with that one as I'm not sure it would go down to well with the visiting teams!

But that seems to be the way of it nowadays, clubs downsizing or shutting rather than opening up. Hopefully Barry Hearn taking over WorldSnooker with some new ideas can get a bit of a surge of interest going again at some stage similar to the stuff he has done with darts.

Comment

Yeah Sports Bar - AKA Chesterfield Snooker Centre as was a long time ago when it was a proper club. One of the lads in my pool team worked there when it used to open 24 hours - basically no-one came in at night and my mate got free practice all night!! It has really declined over the years, as you say. The match area and upstairs is none existent. I'm told all the tables have been removed upstairs. Shame, I used to enjoy the odd game there many years ago. Most of their customers have either dispersed or play at Rileys on their questionable snooker tables.

Clay Cross is a totally different animal tho - snooker heaven. If you can get between 1.30 and 4.30pm tomorrow I'll be there playing my mate. It really is tops and you might even want to join!! If you ever just want an odd knock - let me know and if I'm free you can play as my guest. The tables are great....

Comment

OK will try sometime Dave hopefully though probably a bit too busy tomorrow afternoon as need to get some work done before the big party night at the club in the evening.

I played in a 3-man team once that actually reached the Derbyshire final where we lost to Nigel Bond's team, I think he was playing from Clay Cross then. I seem to recall he was playing with Steve Daft and Duncan Waring though haven't heard of those two for years at least not in my neck of the woods.

We did get hammered 4-0 though with myself losing to Nigel twice. I think they were quite surprised to see us in the final and we were probably just as surprised to be there! Must be 20-25 years ago though now thinking back.

We had to play the semi and the final on the same day though and not sure that really suited us as the underdogs, we'd had a good win over Grassmoor - Joe Flint, Edwin Smith and George Wilkinson which probably took up all of our energies and were beaten out of sight in the final soon afterwards.
                        Last edited by pottingpinks; 15 January 2011, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Amazing - what a small world.

Duncan Waring is now the landlord of a pub in Clay Cross. To my knowledege he's neither picked up a cue or set foot in the club for at least 15 years. Steve Daft had a snooker room attached to his house and it was for sale in 1998 when I went to view it, and he said he hardly ever played anymore.

George, Edwin and Joe did all play in the league until recently - not bad seeing as they started in The Chesterfield and District league in 1950!!!!

The Grassmoor team is some what changed now, but Sammy Jones still plays with them (he beat me twice last week in a team of 3 match) George comes to North East for lunch every Sunday.

Playing another old guy week after next in the Presidents Cup comp. John Smith from Alfreton (used to run Alfreton SC) - what a lovely old chap he is and what a great player. He's in his 70's and still loves the game. Only ever played him once before in a league match and had a steady 39 break to beat him. Looking forward to playing him again now that I'm buzzing!

Yeah anytime you're free just ring me on 0770102927.

Dave, Snookerpoolman

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerpoolman View Post
                            Amazing - what a small world.

Duncan Waring is now the landlord of a pub in Clay Cross. To my knowledege he's neither picked up a cue or set foot in the club for at least 15 years. Steve Daft had a snooker room attached to his house and it was for sale in 1998 when I went to view it, and he said he hardly ever played anymore.

George, Edwin and Joe did all play in the league until recently - not bad seeing as they started in The Chesterfield and District league in 1950!!!!

The Grassmoor team is some what changed now, but Sammy Jones still plays with them (he beat me twice last week in a team of 3 match) George comes to North East for lunch every Sunday.

Playing another old guy week after next in the Presidents Cup comp. John Smith from Alfreton (used to run Alfreton SC) - what a lovely old chap he is and what a great player. He's in his 70's and still loves the game. Only ever played him once before in a league match and had a steady 39 break to beat him. Looking forward to playing him again now that I'm buzzing!

Yeah anytime you're free just ring me on 0770102927.

Dave, Snookerpoolman
                            Ricki played and beat John not too long ago, think it took them about 4 hours to play 3 frames!

Comment

That would be a maximum then, 51 with three reds, three blacks and the colours (for the uninitiated its our quickfire slightly belated Christmas snooker party night).

I'll buy those new balls out of my own pocket if you can manage that!!

Or failing that you can get all the committee drunk and then they will agree to buy the new balls from club funds lol.
                              Right, All out for a maximum it is then!

Comment

Ricki played and beat John not too long ago, think it took them about 4 hours to play 3 frames!
                                I'll book a bed then shall I

We playing best of 5. As my form is here now maybe I should have organised it sooner, but am sooooo busy! Apart from this aft. when am at the club for a nice knock - roll on half one!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X