X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cue or coaching?

I have a question:

I am considering buying a new custom cue which will cost me just under £400
    At the moment I use an unbranded but hand spliced cue which cost me £120 new,so it is a decent cue.

The new cue won't make me play any better technically, I may feel more comfortable with it hence play better etc and I am happy with my cue now anyway.

Now the dilema is(as in the title) I am not the best player, my HB are:
    Line up 82
    Practise 65
    Match 48

Should I invest in lots of lessons to get myself cueing straight so that I can consistently knock in 40 breaks as at the moment i average around 20 every session?

I don't see the point in me having a great cue without being a great player
    (all the gear no Idea) but I desperatley want a new cue!!!!

I think i just need to stay away from the cue pics thread on this site!
    Opinions please?

Well if you are pleased with your cue don't change it My advice would be to invest in some good coach as that will improve your game Or you can buy some second hand cue which suits you specs and also leave some money for a couple of coaching lessons.
    You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
    BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

coaching first all te way, then they can suggest what cue to actually get.

Comment

Coaching first

Comment

Originally Posted by Freddie Ng View Post
          Coaching first
          Yep definitely!

I knew what people would say, the cue is just a want, I dont 'need' it

Comment

jaycho:

OK, so I might be a bit biased as a coach, but absolutely don't go get a new cue right now but DO use that money to go and get some good coaching.

Believe me, in 99.9% of the cases, it's not the cue, it's YOU and your technique. Once a good coach gets you to where you are delivering the cue consistently straight then that is the time to be considering a really good custom cue, because you will be knocking in high breaks and will better know your own 'ideal' cue specs

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi Terry,

You may have a biased opinion but you are 100% correct!
              theres no point in having a custom cue if you cant use it lol

Comment

Hi Jaycho,

I'm in exactly the same situation at present and tinkering with my game.

Been playing 25 years, although just started again after 9 year break. I regularly have 40-70 breaks but medium/long potting is dire as well as consistency. My highest match break is 88, practice 137 total clearance (many years ago) and line up (don't do much) 127 clearance.

I have on order a custom Tony Glover cue which should be ready in about 8 weeks. I have also had a coaching session, this week with Andy Brett, and found out why mediuj/long potting is poor. I am not queing straight and putting unwanted right hand side on the white when striking the ball a little firmer. Changing is going to be tough i guess though after many years of playing my own natural way.

I'ts tough wanting to improve

Regards

Comment

Treefella, are you an older version of me???

I've been playing 2 years, had a session with Andy and put unwanted side on the ball LOL

How much was your glover cue and what specs did you have? PM me if you dont want to say on the forum...

Comment

Working...
                  X