Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power - Spencer vs Robertson Please Read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Luke Hooper View Post
    can anyone post the vid on here?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._Day_6_Part_1/

Scroll to 3 hours, Mark Allen plays safe, leaving Robertson in baulk. He plays the long red with screw and ends up back in baulk.
    "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
    - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by nevets View Post
      I didn't see the shot. Can anyone post a link? I have tried, but I cannot find it on iPlayer.
      I found it.. took some guess work tho to find the correct iPlayer link. See above for link.
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
        I saw JS.a few times and his timing of the stroke was awesome. His ability to screw the ball is best endorsed by the remarks made by Warren Simpson in Oz. when he stood up following a huge full length screw which also went off two cushion and announced ''Ladies and Gentleman that shot was impossible''.
        That shot was during their World final in November 1970 wasn't it? That was probably Spencer at his best as he also made 3 centuries in 4 frames in that match against Simpson. He'd already beaten Reardon, the holder, in the semi's, 34-15!

Comment

Mega Screw !

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
            If club players are century break players, how do you describe the 40 break player? And what about the guys who play doubles every Thursday night with their mates along with a few pints - how do you describe them?
            A 40 break player is usually still a novice, and the Thursday night brigade are social players.

Comment

Originally Posted by circle View Post
              A 40 break player is usually still a novice, and the Thursday night brigade are social players.
              Nice to hear I'm still a novice after 30 years.

Comment

You are not on your own Gerry.
                :snooker:

Comment

in my opinion a player of 20-50 break standard is a "club player".
                  Crucible77's Bahrain Championship Fantasy Game Winner 2008 :snooker:

HB practice: 112
                  HB match: 81

Comment

If a player is making reasonably regular 40 breaks I think it's a stretch to call them a novice. You have to at least pot five reds and blacks - stringing ten balls together requires a bit of positional play and potting ability, I think. Obviously in the grand scheme of things there are pros who make century after century and the odd 40 break isn't a lot by comparison, but stick a complete newcomer on a snooker table and most will be lucky to make 9. That's closer to what I'd consider a novice!

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
                      I found it.. took some guess work tho to find the correct iPlayer link. See above for link.
                      Cheers for the link.
                      Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

Guys,

I have just read this thread and having actually played John Spencer a few times, indeed he once stayed with me when he was World Champion and I took him to my local snooker club.......a true gentleman. I held his original cue (before he smashed in in a car crash) and it was a horrible, bent cue that you wouldn't pick up if it was in a club rack!! Spencer did have awesome cue power BUT in my humble opinion, Alex Higgins and even Cliff Wilson both had more cue power. I have seen Alex Higgins play screw shots that had the audience gasping......and that was with the old heavy 'crystalate' balls (even before the 'super crystalate!!') on an ordinary club table! Cliff Wilson gave exhibitions and the clubs were packed with people waiting to see his wonderful screw shots.

In my local club in Oxfordshire we had a player who I would describe as a 50 break player but his cuepower was wonderful.....he could pot balls from 10 feet away and screw back the length of the table, all down to technique.

With the television tables of today, with thin cloths and the new balls and even with undertable heating then any of the top pros with good technique can do these spectacular screw shots (Ebdon, Carter, Robertson to name just three) BUT i reckon that it was harder back in the early 1970s!!

Oldgit
                        'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
                          I saw JS.a few times and his timing of the stroke was awesome. His ability to screw the ball is best endorsed by the remarks made by Warren Simpson in Oz. when he stood up following a huge full length screw which also went off two cushion and announced ''Ladies and Gentleman that shot was impossible''.
                          Just dug out an instructional book by Clive Everton, remembering it had a diagram of this very shot!

Clive estimates that there was "no less than 8ft between cue-ball and object-ball" and suggests that Spencer was attempting to screw back 3ft for the blue or a baulk colour. In the end he screwed back roughly 12ft, hitting two cushions, and was applauded for three minutes by those in attendance.

If the diagram (attached) and description are accurate, then I have to think Spencer could give Robertson a run for his money. I've never seen Neil play a shot like this one...though in fairness the amount of backspin here was unnecessary as Clive suggests. Unless Spencer just didn't want to be near the side cushion!

I've never knowingly played with the same balls that Spencer did or on the same cloths, and I've never had the chance to play on tables like Robertson does when he plays these shots, but everyone talks about the old conditions being much more difficult to get this kind of action. With this in mind...maybe Spencer edges it? Someone get Neil on an old table with old balls, then maybe we can find out!
                          Attached Files

Comment

hmm

I wasnt being derogatory- by saying novice - maybe intermediate is a better term.

However, any player who is playing regularly and trying to improve, should ask themselves why they are stuck on a highest break of 40ish - iv been there - and its normally down to poor technique and poor choice of shot.

Anyone who wants to improve needs to seek out good advice and coaching.

On two separate occasions, i have seen a century break player guide an intermediate player through a break, and on both they beat there previous highest. One of them went from 33 to 68!

Comment

Intermediate is a better word as "Novice" by definition implies a lack of experience. If I was choosing the word I would use Club player. Century break players would be described as very good amateur players where I'm from, but it's just words at the end of the day.

Certainly in my own case I have a wealth of experience but a lack of knowledge, until recently a fundamental technique issue and as a result some fundamental weaknesses e.g. missing high blacks which have always kept me on or around the level of a 40 break player.

I have addressed my technical issue via coaching and now have a much better and more solid base to work on my fundamental weaknesses and I am seeking out better players to play against to increase my knowledge as well as getting some more coaching on a semi-regular basis.

I will hopefully be joining the century break player category in due course.
                              Last edited by Gerry Armstrong; 17 January 2011, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by circle View Post
                                I wasnt being derogatory- by saying novice - maybe intermediate is a better term.

However, any player who is playing regularly and trying to improve, should ask themselves why they are stuck on a highest break of 40ish - iv been there - and its normally down to poor technique and poor choice of shot.

Anyone who wants to improve needs to seek out good advice and coaching.

On two separate occasions, i have seen a century break player guide an intermediate player through a break, and on both they beat there previous highest. One of them went from 33 to 68!
                                One thing I've just noticed - what is your definition of a 40 break player? I missed it in my previous reply but you refer to a 40 break player as a player with a highest break of 40ish? My definition of a 40 break player who someone who gets 40 breaks on at least a semi-regular basis. I would imagine their highest break is higher than 40 but they don't get higher breaks very often. In my own case, my highest break is a lot higher than 40.

Comment

Working...
                                X