Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power - Spencer vs Robertson Please Read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definition from wikipedia:

"A novice is a person or creature who is new to a field or activity. The term is most commonly applied in religion and sports."

So, if you have played the game for a while, you are not a novice. Regardless of ability.
    Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

As my university lecturers would have said - never cite wikipedia!

If a player is not improving then - then they can be regarded as a novice because they are still at the beginning stage.

Mond you, its better to be making 40s during proper play , than making 60s of crash break offs - in my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally Posted by circle View Post
        As my university lecturers would have said - never cite wikipedia!

If a player is not improving then - then they can be regarded as a novice because they are still at the beginning stage.

Mond you, its better to be making 40s during proper play , than making 60s of crash break offs - in my humble opinion.
        A 40 break is not beginner level so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Comment

"novice", derived from "nova" (new)

–noun
          a person who is new to the circumstances, work, etc., in which he or she is placed; beginner; tyro: a novice in politics.

Any better?
          Last edited by nevets; 17 January 2011, 07:40 PM.
          Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

The Oxford English Dictionary definition:

novice

noun
            1 a person new to and inexperienced in a job or situation:
            he was a complete novice in foreign affairs
            - an animal, especially a racehorse, that has not yet won a major prize or reached a sufficient level of performance to qualify for important events.
            2 a person who has entered a religious order and is under probation, before taking vows.

Comment

Would never have called myself a novice and never had a century at snooker, but would make several 40,s and 50's most days that I played snooker. But, we played golf on the table more often than not, just to make some extra money.
              :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
                Guys,

I have just read this thread and having actually played John Spencer a few times, indeed he once stayed with me when he was World Champion and I took him to my local snooker club.......a true gentleman. I held his original cue (before he smashed in in a car crash) and it was a horrible, bent cue that you wouldn't pick up if it was in a club rack!! Spencer did have awesome cue power BUT in my humble opinion, Alex Higgins and even Cliff Wilson both had more cue power. I have seen Alex Higgins play screw shots that had the audience gasping......and that was with the old heavy 'crystalate' balls (even before the 'super crystalate!!') on an ordinary club table! Cliff Wilson gave exhibitions and the clubs were packed with people waiting to see his wonderful screw shots.

In my local club in Oxfordshire we had a player who I would describe as a 50 break player but his cuepower was wonderful.....he could pot balls from 10 feet away and screw back the length of the table, all down to technique.

With the television tables of today, with thin cloths and the new balls and even with undertable heating then any of the top pros with good technique can do these spectacular screw shots (Ebdon, Carter, Robertson to name just three) BUT i reckon that it was harder back in the early 1970s!!

Oldgit

Bang on the money there Mike.
                Last edited by trevs1; 17 January 2011, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X