Another Free Ball Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Free Ball Question

Player 1 fouls, there are 2 reds left but both are covered by other balls, one of the reds is almost pottable but the pink is close. Can i call the pink as a free ball in case the white touches it in passing ?
    Is it a foul to call the pink and then pot the red without hitting the pink ?

Yes ...surely you have to hit the nominated ball first

Comment

If you nominate pink as your free ball, then you must first make contact with the pink before any other ball, else it will be a foul (four points because red is the ball on).

It would be perfectly ion order to nominate the pink as the free ball and plant that on to the red. If the pink was hanging over the pocket with a red in front of it, it is not possible to nominate pink and play the red onto the pink, because the first contact would not have been with the pink.

Section 2
      12. Nominated ball
      (a) A Nominated ball is the object ball which the striker declares, or indicates to the satisfaction of the referee, he undertakes to hit with the first impact of the cue-ball.

Section 3
      10. Snookered After a Foul
      After a foul, if the cue-ball is snookered, the referee shall state FREE BALL (see Section 2, Rule 16).

(a) If the player next in turn elects to play the next stroke,
      (i) he may nominate any ball as the ball on, and
      (ii) any Nominated ball shall be regarded as, and acquire the value of, the ball on except that, if potted, is shall then be spotted.

(b) It is a foul if the cue-ball should
      (i) fail to hit the Nominated ball first, or first simultaneously with the ball on, or
      (ii) be snookered on all Reds, or the ball on, by the free ball thus nominated, except when the Pink and Black are the only object balls remaining on the table.

(c) If the free ball is potted, it is spotted and the value of the ball on is scored.

(d) If a ball on is potted, after the cue-ball struck the Nominated ball first, or simultaneously with a ball on, the ball on is scored and remains off the table.

(e) If both the Nominated ball and a ball on are potted, only the ball on is scored unless it was a Red, when each ball potted is scored. The free ball is then spotted and the ball on remains off the table.

(f) If the offender is asked to play again, the free ball call becomes void.

Comment

Cheers Souwester, your rules are far clearer than the rules i'm using.

Comment

Originally Posted by muzicman147 View Post
          Cheers Souwester, your rules are far clearer than the rules i'm using.
          Souwester always quotes from the official rules (his text in blue) so it should be the same as what you're using!

Comment

It is the same, but his is worded so much better !!!! Just noticed i'm looking at our league rules not WS Rules,so thats proberly why !!!
            Last edited by muzicman147; 18 February 2011, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by muzicman147 View Post
              It is the same, but his is worded so much better !!!! Just noticed i'm looking at our league rules not WS Rules,so thats proberly why !!!
              Knowing some leagues, they are probably the old B&SCC rules that were replaced on 1st September 1995!

Comment

I was reading some rules the other day that said if a player was [angled after a foul he could ask the offender to play again, OR play the white from inside the "D", [in hand] this in hand rule has no longer been in the rules for about eight years.

Comment

Originally Posted by bally969 View Post
                  I was reading some rules the other day that said if a player was [angled after a foul he could ask the offender to play again, OR play the white from inside the "D", [in hand] this in hand rule has no longer been in the rules for about eight years.
                  Try 16½ years! The blue rule book came out in September 1995, and that is the set of rules that did away with the angled ball rule.

Comment

Working...
                  X