finding a winner after round robin section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
    thinsy Very clever to introduce "relevant matches". You need quite a logical brain to grasp the concept. Will have to think about this one and see if it helps in the scenarios we get faced with.
    Mafematicks was my bestest subjekt witch is moor than I can sey for my english grammer and speling!!!!

The problem is you can use different rules and end up with a completely different winner so someone will always be unhappy!!! So the important thing is to make your choice of rules and STICK TO IT
    Highest Break
    Practice: 136 (2005)
    Match: 134 (2006)
    In 2011: 94
    Centuries made: 50+

Comment

ashbash Insufficient fingers and onset of dementia has an effect! Would help if we could get electronic scoreboards.

Comment

nope tried to work it out and its too complicated for me think its still all tied
        A = 2 wins 2 loses
        B = 2 wins 2 loses
        C = 2 wins 2 loses
        d = 4 loses
        E = 4 wins
        A,B and C have all lost to E and have all beat D
        a,b and c are all tied on 2 wins and 2 loses
        A beat C but lost to B
        B beat A but lost to C
        C beat B but lost to A
        who wins ?

Comment

Originally Posted by ashbash View Post
          nope tried to work it out and its too complicated for me think its still all tied
          A = 2 wins 2 loses
          B = 2 wins 2 loses
          C = 2 wins 2 loses
          d = 4 loses
          E = 4 wins
          A,B and C have all lost to E and have all beat D
          a,b and c are all tied on 2 wins and 2 loses
          A beat C but lost to B
          B beat A but lost to C
          C beat B but lost to A
          who wins ?
          E because he won 4
          Highest Break

Comment

ashbash Yup, same conclusion. Still a tie. From last night each of the tied players had one win against a "relevent player".
            Another (slightly jokey serious) suggestion. If we recorded frame times and the winner was the person who had played the quickest frames we might sort TWO problems with the same solution. Might encourage people to get a move on? Would be very unpopular I fear and I'm really looking for something where there's no admin involved. Hate paperwork worse than arithmetic!!

Comment

Unfortunately, round robin involve admin!!!

All you have to do is set your rules... The system I gave you is a good one to start with but if you still end up with a three-way tie you will have to take a secondary route. I don't like the idea of using speed, consistency of long pots etc to work this out, it needs to be done using the information gathered during the 'match conditions' and I would opt for the frame score difference. Yes, it involves playing frames down to the black but it's probably the fairest way!!

Out of interest, how many entries do you normally get?
              Highest Break

Comment

Ash............Give Caledonian Snooker a call. Paul Marinello, the Chairman owns the Shandon.

They will set up a group system for you that meets your needs, along with the paperwork.

PM me and I will give you a couple of tel nos.

Comment

bigbreak It's mostly the Locarno we play at and overspill into the Shandon sometimes. Paul has been very very helpful to us in giving us a good deal on the tables but I don't think we've ever asked him for help on the admin side. Ashbash will no doubt reply to your post.
                  Thinsy 100% agree that tie-breaks are best done based on information gathered in match conditions. Ashbash will be talking with the other players to see if we can come up with a solution. We'll just have to try and keep as many people as we can happy if possible. We don't have that many players as yet. The tourney just started as half a dozen of us getting together on a Sunday night for a knock. Word of mouth has increased the numbers and the most we have had was 14. We're hoping to get up to 16 or more in the next few weeks and hence the need to try and lay down some rules.

Comment

We run a very informal summer competition when the main league takes a break. We play with whoever turns up, drawn, usually, into groups of 3 or 4.

If we have a tie for who goes through to the knockout stage, then we have those tied players playing a black ball respot. If there are three players tied, then its a mini round robin with black ball respot. Usually the first cycle resolves the situation, but once, from memory, we went to the third cycle to get the winner (ie the first two times each of the three players had won a respot!).

Comment

Working...
                    X