What is the correct way to handicap a snooker doubles tounament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the correct way to handicap a snooker doubles tounament

Hi could the correct , or usual way to handicap a snooker doubles tournament , best of two frames. be explained by a member of the forum , as the club i am a member of , add the players scores together, i e: if one player is off plus 30 and one off plus 20 they play off plus 50 . this handicap is only added at the start of the match, and not again after the conclusion of the first frame .

I was under the impression that the handicap's should be added together then halved to get the correct start, so the above team should be playing off 25 and not 50, as a minus 20 player i played with a plus 20 player and our Handicap was the only one halved and given correctly as scratch .

could a ref ,or anybody help as im sure im right or is it old age !!!!!
    Last edited by highbreak 8; 9 August 2011, 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Adding the 2 scores together, then halving it seems the logical way to go, as its the average of those players abilities.
    Maybe they did add your scores together tho, because -20 add +20 = 0 (even halving that is still 0 )
    I think as a team you should of been giving a 25 point start (instead of 50 by the sounds of things)

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Adding the 2 scores together, then halving it seems the logical way to go, as its the average of those players abilities.
      Maybe they did add your scores together tho, because -20 add +20 = 0 (even halving that is still 0 )
      I think as a team you should of been giving a 25 point start (instead of 50 by the sounds of things)
      Thanks for the reply
      that's right they have correctly handicapped myself , but it appears every other one has been given too many start

Comment

Adding together then halving would be the correct way. However, if the match is decided on aggregate scores over the two frames, then the 50 points would also be correct (2 frames at 25 points per frame). so you would be given 50 points and your opponents, say 30. At the start of the second frame, the scoring would just continue.
        You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Add both partners scores together, then halve them and then tie one partners right leg to the others left leg and let battle commence.

Comment

Thnaks everyone. I am not a very good snooker player but it was clear to me that in doubles the better players are at a distinct advantage being able to be more consitent but more importantly have the ability to score big breaks and therefore very quickly dragback the deficit in points when playing much porer palyers of which I am one. I have suggested to the better player that the handicaps be added and then take 3/4 which gives the lesser players at least a chance otherwise it is really a bit of a farce for the benefit of the better player!

Comment

In our league if your players are off +30 and +20 you would get a handicap of +25 (if the other two players were both off scratch). Obviously this would be per frame too if it is two frames, aggregate to count (you said best of 2 frames which was unclear).

I would say there are perhaps more shocks in our league in the pairs than the singles so not sure why you think they favour the better players, though I think any system involving aggregate certainly plays into their hands, as they are more likely to win by a bigger margin in any 1 frame due to their higher breakbuilding capacity.

Comment

Working...
              X