Maybe the dullest question ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe the dullest question ever

Sorry to ask such a boring question but what is the best product for keeping your cue grease free and all smooth and shiny during and after play. If the answer is a damp towel then that is fine.

Normally I use just a damp and dry wipe. Older cues may require an application or two of cue oil (available from various suppliers including Mike Wooldridge and others) but in the main just use a damp and dry wipe down

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

most of the time its not the cue its your hands give them a good wash before and while your playing.
      plus use a cloth to wipe the cue down to.

Comment

If the cue is new and hasn't been oiled then you may find that a damp rag actually causes the wood fibres to rise up after any application of moisture. The spikes produced kinda hurts the chin if the shaft is ash. If so, a bit of linseed oidl will usually do the trick. Just smear in allo over (the ash shaft) evenly and leaves for 24 hours then remove with a newspaper and dry cloth. It will be sticky for a day or two but will eventually produce a smooth glassy finish and allow you to use the damp rage and dry cloth emthod most players use.

Comment

Or you could wear a cue glove on your bridge hand, stops sweat getting on your cue period, hardly any friction for super smooth cueing. Works for everyone but most seem to think it looks a bit silly so they don't bother with one, they're wrong.

Comment

Ive only ever seen pool players use a glove.
            Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

what you can use first is oxalic acid . it's used to clean woods as it remove ,using somekind of osmosis princip , dirts even inside ( not very deep ) wood fibers . applies acid , let it dry ( there's kind of small cristalls appearing on surface ) then clean your shaft with a wet sponge . after that you should applies oil to feed the wood . i personnaly use lemmon oil , i'm a guitar player and use it for my fretboard and tried it on my cue and it works great and smells good

Comment

No matter what you do, do not be tempted to use talcum powder on an ash shaft. In the old days here in Canada there was a talcum powder dispenser on the wall in every pool room but in those days we all had maple cues.

Also, the glove idea isn't bad if you happen to have sweaty hands but it is more to do with the hands than the shaft itself and a quick wipe with a damp cloth for both the shaft and the hand in the 'V' area and then dry them off will really help

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

well got to confess that i've only ever seen carom players using a glove quite often , rarely pool players and never the others . but maybe glove can be the solution
                  personaly ( got sweaty hands ) i don't like gloves.it's not a question of looking silly (cause i already look silly without ...) but the fact that even If it makes cueing smoother it decrease some sensations and can be disturbing for pace sometimes

Comment

Working...
                  X