Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification of the foul on the final black

Hi people,

I need the correct answer to something that happened the other night. Towards the end of a frame, I potted the blue and pink to go 13 points in front. There was the black left on the table and I didn't need to play in but for some reason I did. I potted the black and the white dropped in the middle bag. I was kicking myself as I thought it had cost me the frame. None of us knew the rules and we re-spotted the black and played on from there. Were we right to do this? Should I have lost the frame there and then? It needs to be right as it could have important implication later on. Thank you,

Lee.

You won the frame regardless of the in off in to the middle pocket. The first score or foul on the final black ends the frame and as you were ahead at that point you won the frame.

The only time the black is re-spotted is when a pot or foul on the final black leaves the scores level.

Comment

You didn't even need to go for the final black. There is a misconstrued theory, that for the frame to be completed, the final black
      MUST
      be potted without a foul. This is NOT TRUE.
      You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

You won the frame. You don't need to play the black when the difference in scores is more than 7. The first foul or pot of the black (when only black remains) ends the frame, and whoever is ahead on points at that stage wins the frame.

The only time, in a normal match, when the black ball is re-spotted (and the next player plays from in hand) is when the first foul or pot on the black levels the scores.

In a match where aggregate scores across a number of frames are taken into account, then ties scores in all but the final frame are permissible, and thus only in the final frame of an aggregate scores match would you ever see a re-spotted black.

Comment

you won, if he says otherwise punch him sqaurely on he nose.

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
            you won, if he says otherwise punch him sqaurely on he nose.
            hahahaha...

Comment

I want to be really sure I'm getting this re-spotting of the black correct. Sorry if this sounds silly but...

Scenario 1:
              Let's say my opponent is leading by 7 points after potting the pink. He goes for the black but went in off (the black did not pot). So the score is now tied and I play from in hand.

Does the black need to be re-spotted or it is to be played from where it is?

Scenario 2:
              Same as above but this time instead of going in off, my opponent miss-cued on the final black and the score is tied. Both the cue ball and the black still on the table.

Should the black be re-spotted and I play from in hand? or should I continue to play the table as it is?

Would appreciate some advice on the above scenarios.
              When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

In both cases if the scores are now tied due to the in off or mis cue, the black is re-spotted, so then spin a coin to see who plays the white from the D

Comment

Originally Posted by damienlch View Post
                  I want to be really sure I'm getting this re-spotting of the black correct. Sorry if this sounds silly but...

Scenario 1:
                  Let's say my opponent is leading by 7 points after potting the pink. He goes for the black but went in off (the black did not pot). So the score is now tied and I play from in hand.

Does the black need to be re-spotted or it is to be played from where it is?

Scenario 2:
                  Same as above but this time instead of going in off, my opponent miss-cued on the final black and the score is tied. Both the cue ball and the black still on the table.

Should the black be re-spotted and I play from in hand? or should I continue to play the table as it is?

Would appreciate some advice on the above scenarios.
                  in scenario 2 did he miscue but still hit the black?

Comment

Both fouls result in a tie, and in that case the black is always re-spotted and the cue ball always played from in hand. Technically you toss a coin (or whatever) to decide who has the choice of going first.

Comment

That's irrelevant. It was a foul on the black, and after the penalty points were awarded the scores were level, leading to a re-spotted black.

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                        That's irrelevant. It was a foul on the black, and after the penalty points were awarded the scores were level, leading to a re-spotted black.

says doesnt go in off he might mis cue but still hit the black after potting the pink the shot previous......

Comment

I should have been clearer. He miscued and fouled.
                          When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            In both cases if the scores are now tied due to the in off or mis cue, the black is re-spotted, so then spin a coin to see who plays the white from the D
                            Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                            Both fouls result in a tie, and in that case the black is always re-spotted and the cue ball always played from in hand. Technically you toss a coin (or whatever) to decide who has the choice of going first.
                            Oops... I won a game unfairly... My mate went in off from the black, causing the score to be tied and the black hanging somewhat by the pocket. Instead of re-spotting the black, I just clean potted it from in hand... LOL, wait till I tell him about this. He's going to be sooooooo ****ed. It was a gruelling, exhausting match.

Thanks for the clarification guys... much appreciated!!

Comment

Working...
                            X