Inane question - sorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inane question - sorry

Seeing as I am so new to snooker I have to ask this dumb question - especially as two work colleagues have confused me by giving two opposite answers...

I played the other day and potted the black, to then find all the colour spots full.

So where do I put the black now?

I decided to put it as close as I could, not touching another ball, above the black spot thereby ending my slim hopes of a break of 9.

Was this correct?

Yes, you were right.

Same with any colour if its spot is not available. It goes as close to it's spot as possible without touching another ball, in a direct line towards the top (black) cushion.

Apart from the yellow and green, this means the ball will be placed on the centre line of the table, in line with the spots, beyond the relevant spot when viewed from baulk.

Comment

When you say "above" do you mean closer to the "top" (black) cushion, or further away than the black spot itself. If the former, you were correct, if the latter, incorrect as the rules say..

7. Spotting colours
      (f) If all spots are occupied, the colour shall be placed as near it's own spot as possible, between that spot and the nearest part of the top cushion.

p.s. you can download a copy of the rules here
      http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/Rul...230051,00.html
      Last edited by nrage; 15 December 2011, 01:22 PM. Reason: link to rules
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

ooops, must have got it wrong, I placed it as near as I could in a line between the pink and black. From what you have said nrage, it should have gone between the black spot and the top cushion.

Comment

Originally Posted by sixofclubs View Post
          ooops, must have got it wrong, I placed it as near as I could in a line between the pink and black. From what you have said nrage, it should have gone between the black spot and the top cushion.
          Yep, sounds like you got it wrong. Not to worry, you know now.

Something else to take from this, when talking about positions on a snooker table and using words like "above" etc you should imagine you're standing at the bottom cushion/break off position. So "above" always means toward the black cushion (also called the "top" cushion). Recent TV coverage has caused some confusion as the table is shown the other way round and commentators have to cater for all manner of fans, so they often refer to it as the bottom cushion by accident, or more commonly say "bottom of your screen" or similar.
          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
          - Linus Pauling

Comment

As an extension to this statement, yes as all spots are occupied the object ball must be placed as near to it's own spot as possible in a direct line to the nearest part of the top cushion. But, in the case of Pink and Black, if the area between the spot and the top cushion is full, the object ball must be placed below it's spot in a direct line with the nearest part of the bottom cushion.
            Some days I'm the statue.
            Some days I'm the pigeon.
            Today is a statue kind of day.

Comment

APK/ yes we had this situation in a match, and a chap new all the rules, and said it went above the black spot to the left or right side
              without touching a red, I told him it went below it's spot, but he was having none of it, the situation was left at that, even though I new he was wrong,

Comment

This is interesting to know, it is something I have never came across and I am glad I read this as if it was to happen I would now know what to do. Also, thanks to nrage for the URL. Will have a look at that after looking over the forums.

Comment

Originally Posted by sixofclubs View Post
                  Seeing as I am so new to snooker I have to ask this dumb question - especially as two work colleagues have confused me by giving two opposite answers...

I played the other day and potted the black, to then find all the colour spots full.

So where do I put the black now?

I decided to put it as close as I could, not touching another ball, above the black spot thereby ending my slim hopes of a break of 9.

Was this correct?
                  near as possible below the black.
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                  X