Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip and cue question

Hello snooker fans,

I've just had a stab at re tipping my cue, but its not great! The tip is really spongy - a friend gave it to me saying they were a good make. Will this spongy-ness go? Its like playing with rubber on the end of the cue, rather than a firm feeling/crisp sound i used to get with the old tip...

Also, Does any1 know where I might get it re tipped properly, or even better where I might buy a new cue...think its time for a new one. I live in Crawley, West Sussex but good cue retailer is hard to find.

Unless the fibres have been pulled so much that the tip is ruined it will firm up , how much depends ehat type of tip it is .

Why dont you sort the tip out before deciding if you need a new wand .

Comment

Most pressed tips (elkmaster/blue diamond) feel spongy to start with. Elks are quite inconsistent also so if you;ve got a soft one then yeh, it will be spongy for a while. Also might mushroon which is annoying!

Get some MW Supertips, they're great and not nearly as spngy as the above.
      Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

can we get a picture.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

bed it in with a 2lb hammer as soon as glue sets then shape

Comment

Ive been tipping my own cues for over 30 years and my experience is that you should put a new one on if it feels spongy.It sounds to me as though you may have been shaping it upwards in stread of down which loosens the fibres.
            Elkmaster tips are usually firmer than Blue Diamonds and do not spread as much.I`d stay away from laminated tips such as Talisman,they de-laminate to quickly for my liking.
            Also,use superglue GEL to fix your tip on.It allows you to postion the tip before it sets.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the replies there guys, I have persevered with it and it seems to be a bit less spongy now. I'm now struggling a little bit with grip on the deep screw/top spins - should i sand the tip with a course bit of paper to rough it up a bit? Propbably find a better cue action would help as well!!!

I would still like any shops/outlets that you guys know (in the west sussex area) that would sell cues and/or re tip them, cause I doubt this one will last that long!

Thanks again

Nick

Comment

Just a light rub with 300 grit will be fine but dont rub upwards .

Comment

Personally, i don't do that because it can cause the fibres to lift. I prefer to use coarse sandpaper or a file and push down on the tip while rocking. Take the paper away and turn the cue a fraction, and repeat until i've gone round the whole tip. (usually about 5 turns)

This method also won't wear the tip out like rubbing.
                  Last edited by bricktip; 30 December 2011, 10:21 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Hence the word light .

Comment

Hi,the only decent cue maker I know is in tooting,Robert Osbourne,a bit of a trek for you,but I feel worth it. (btw,I don't work for him or being payed for this!!)

Also,I've just tried talisman tips for the first time last year and I have to say I'm impressed .

Comment

Perfect answer.

Comment

I notice the original poster wants a cue man in West Sussex. I am in Worthing and have been working in the game for over 30 years. Many Crawley players visit me for new cues, repairs, coaching lessons and all thing cuesport. Check out www. franksandellcuesport.co.uk and if I can help drop me an E. mail from the site with a contact number and I will call back. F.

Comment

Working...
                          X