When to respot balls...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to respot balls...

Okay, so I'm playing a game of Snooker last night, and we're on the colours, my opponent pots the yellow only to then see the white go in another pocket. Four points to me and nothing to him, thank you very much...

...But does the yellow stay in the pocket? Or does it get respotted?

Never came across this before, and it dawned on me that despite having been playing a while I didn't know the answer!! Been frustrating me ever since.

Can someone please clear this up for me?

Kind Regards
    Richard

If there's a foul on any shot involving a colour, the colour will always get respotted, unless of course it's the black when only black remains, because the first foul ends the game (unless of course, that makes the points level!).

Comment

Hi Richard

The yellow is re-spotted.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
      http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Thanks to you both for clearing that up.

Comment

RD this is a gooden,
          just colours on and u get a free ball after a foul, you take and pot blue, 2 points, white carries on and accidently knocks yellow in,the result would be , no foul, as yellow is the ball on, only 2 points scored for blue, and yellow stays down.If any other colour would have been accidentaly knocked in after the blue [free ball] that would be a foul, to the value of the ball knocked in. both balls would be re spotted.

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
            If there's a foul on any shot involving a colour, the colour will always get respotted, unless of course it's the black when only black remains, because the first foul ends the game (unless of course, that makes the points level!).
            Clive, i thought if there is a foul on black it ends frame regardless of points? I've never actually been in this situation (clearly because i never let my opponents get close enough!!!!) haha or shall i say, i never get close enough to my opponents...

but if my opponent is 7 points behind and i foul and i pot white and black at the same time, i thought the black stayed in - foul 7 to my opponent and it is considered a draw?

thankfully I've never been in this situation though lol
            what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

Originally Posted by Luke Hooper View Post
              Clive, i thought if there is a foul on black it ends frame regardless of points? I've never actually been in this situation (clearly because i never let my opponents get close enough!!!!) haha or shall i say, i never get close enough to my opponents...

but if my opponent is 7 points behind and i foul and i pot white and black at the same time, i thought the black stayed in - foul 7 to my opponent and it is considered a draw?

thankfully I've never been in this situation though lol
              If on the last black (potted or not) and a foul occurs, the foul points are alloted and there is a draw on the number of points; then it is a respot black (potted or not) and a coin-toss to decide who goes first.
              Last edited by DeanH; 4 January 2012, 03:29 PM.
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Indeed, as Dean says, if the foul on the black (when only black remains) results in the scores being level, then the black is spotted, and the cue ball played fromm in hand, the players tossing for who has choice as to who plays first. The exception to this is in matches using aggregate scores. In such cases, tied frames are perfectly acceptable, in all but the final frame, when, if the aggregate points are then level, there would be a respotted black.

If you think about it Luke, if, in a best of three match, Player A wins frame 1 by one point, the scores are tied in frame 2, and then Player B wins frame 3 with a 147 maximum, who has won the match? How do you decide? You can't expect to play a respotted black after a 147 break has been made.

Comment

Working...
                X