Some sort of embossed black ball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some sort of embossed black ball?

I recently spotted this anomaly on a black ball; a small circular "embossment" as shown in the photo.

I'm not sure how to accurately describe it... the circle is slightly raised or projected, i.e. not flush with the rest of the ball surface, think bas-relief.

What is this? ...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/blackball.jpg/
    Last edited by damienlch; 21 January 2012, 03:44 PM.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

a reflection of the cameraman who took the picture perhaps?

[edit] ... sorry I've just realised you probably took the photo so you know there is something on the ball itself - in which case I have no idea but it doesn't sound good!
    Last edited by DandyA; 22 January 2012, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
      a reflection of the cameraman who took the picture perhaps?

[edit] ... sorry I've just realised you probably took the photo so you know there is something on the ball itself - in which case I have no idea but it doesn't sound good!
      Lol, no worries mate... it's not the best photo. I've tried different angles but it's rather difficult to make it show properly on the glossy black surface.

I can understand if it's a dent but it is actually projected from the surface... way too manufactured to be by accident.

Just really curious, that's all...
      When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Do you know what make of balls are they? Is it only the black with this raised mark?
        Last night, I checked the Aramith TCs we have and found no marks as you describe.
        My only thought is that if the mark is circular then it could be left over from the manufacturing process and not finished off correctly, ?
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Could be a air pocket from when the resin was poured into it's mould!

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
            Could be a air pocket from when the resin was poured into it's mould!
            I was thinking that but it is described as "raised" and not a dip, so it could be the remnents of the stump left at the pouring hole and not completely removed?
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Only saw it on the black ball, the other balls from the same tray are fine. These are probably cheap balls with poor quality control.

I'm going back to the same club to see if I can find more of this.

I need to get a life.

Comment

If you can find this again on any balls then take them outside or near to a window and take a picture instead of in the snooker hall, you will get a better image then.

Comment

Working...
                X