Clarification on miss when snookers required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification on miss when snookers required

If a player is, say, 29 points behind with just the colours remaining, and he fails to hit the ball on resulting in a 4 point penalty, should a miss be called?

I have checked the rules and I think a miss shouldn't be called as snookers were required before the shot. Could someone clarify this please as it's happened to me a couple of times recently and there was some heated debate.

Also, if the penalty resulted in the score difference being equal to the points left on the table - 27 in the above case - should that be called a miss? Again, I believe no.

Thanks in advance.
    Oh, and that's a bad miss.

The 1995 rule book introduced the F&M rule basically as it is today, and that stated that a Miss could not be called if snookers were requried (by either player) either before or as a result of the stroke.

The 2011 rule book has amended that slightly by saying that a Miss cannot be called if there are only sufficient points on the table to tie the frame, before or after the shot. There now need to be sufficient points available on the table to actually win the frame both before and after the stroke, for a Miss to be called.

Comment

Thanks Souwester, that's clear.
      Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

Working...
      X