Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pete Williamson Snooker Referee - corrupt or just incompetent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Williamson Snooker Referee - corrupt or just incompetent?

The Miss rule was brought in to counter attempts by snooker players to gain an unfair advantage by deliberately missing shots they normally would not to deny their opponent a possible frame winning opportunity.

Miss: The striker shall to the best of his ability endeavor to hit the ball on. If the referee considers the rule infringed he shall call foul and a "miss." The incoming player (1) may play the ball(s) as they lie, or (2) may request that the ball(s) be returned to the original position and have the offending player play the stroke again. Note: if the ball on cannot possibly be hit, the striker is judged to be attempting to hit the ball on.

Let us have a look at what transpired in the World Championship qualifier April 12 2012 between Luca Brecel and Michael Holt, Referee : Pete Williamson.

Holt plays a clear push shot ( watch the video) to bring the cue ball behind the black totally obscuring the path to the red situated right next to black, the frame at a very delicate juncture with Brecel leading by just 3 points, and this being the last red on the table, there is NO possible escape from the snooker, Brecel attempts to overcome the snooker by playing, raised cue butt onto the cue ball directing it to the top side pocket opening hoping to catch an impossible angle to get back to the object ball, he fails as he invariably must. The correct decision by the referee would have been to call a foul and have Brecel if Holt so decided play the next shot from where the cue ball landed or have Holt take the shot instead.
    Only a totally incompetent or corrupt referee would call a foul AND A MISS in this situation - but that is exactly what Williamson did, time and again, until Hold had accumulated over 30 points in fouls enabling him to steal this very important frame.

We must clearly understand this, the frame an extremely important one was won by Holt as a result of a corrupt/incompetent decision on the application of the miss rule by the referee and not by his good and fair play on the table - And this cannot be.

Williamson aggravated the situation by his incompetence of failing to replace the balls to where they were, the rule clearly states that the balls must be replaced where they were prior to the foul so as not put the player at a disadvantage, Williamson not only failed to replace the balls correctly, he allowed Brecel's opponent and beneficiary of this corroborated mess, Michael Holt to dictate and instruct him where to place the balls, which was in a position far worse then the original one.

Common Barry Hearn how much more evidence of cheating do you need to act against cretins like Pete Williamson?

Luca Brecel to his credit was to much a gentleman and his sense of fair play far exceeds that of Williamson and Michael Holt, he simply should have refused to play the shot from the position Holt dictated to compliant Williamson.
    This smacks of stinking corruption and puts snooker back years, players like Holt and referees like Williamson have no place on the pro tour.

The rule as it stands is quite clearly open to miss-use by cheating elements within our game, it would serve the game well if the rule were to be modified to make it impossible for cheats to use it as a tool to win frames.

This was by no means the only miserable decision Pete Williamson made in the match, and all of them to the detriment of Luca Brecel, Williamson awarded Holt a free ball when quite clearly Holt was able to easily hit both sides of the object ball, again at a situation that allowed Holt to win a frame he was well on the way of losing, there is video coverage of the match if the tape still exists Barry Hearn should have it looked at, Barry made comments that he had a zero tolerance for match fixers, and so he should, how about taking a close look at Pete Williamson, if the guy claims to be unbiased then his decisions clearly show a level of incompetence that is quite simply not acceptable.

A huge congratulations to Luca Brecel for beating his opponent and the Referee, the final score of 10 - 9 in Brecels favour should have been 10 - 6 3 frames were won by Holt in circumstances that warrant investigating.
    Last edited by dantuck_7; 13 April 2012, 11:03 AM.

JP1, I concur with you. WPBSA should review the videos and if there is any evidence of wrongdoing on the part of referee or players, they should be disciplined accordingly so as not to bring any disrepute into this wonderful game!

Three cheers to Luca Brecel for having come so far in this qualifying stage and hope you will continue with this good form into the main draw, just one more match away!!

Just another side issue JP1, will you care to comment on this one:

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...-mannock/page3

Comment

I hope you've got a good lawyer to deal with the libel case jp1.

Comment

Really - what do you consider libellous in my post ? and point out where I deliberately and maliciously misrepresented the facts.
        A lawyer you are not.

Comment

"cretins like Pete Williamson" is that a fact?
          "mordidly obese"

or just plain rude
          Last edited by DeanH; 13 April 2012, 09:01 AM.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by JP1 View Post
            The Miss rule was brought in to counter attempts by snooker players to gain an unfair advantage by deliberately missing shots they normally would not to deny their opponent a possible frame winning opportunity.

Miss: The striker shall to the best of his ability endeavor to hit the ball on. If the referee considers the rule infringed he shall call foul and a "miss." The incoming player (1) may play the ball(s) as they lie, or (2) may request that the ball(s) be returned to the original position and have the offending player play the stroke again. Note: if the ball on cannot possibly be hit, the striker is judged to be attempting to hit the ball on. ...
            Would you like to quote the entire "exception" where the ball cannot possibly be hit, and possibly some footage so that we can see it?

Comment

This is not exactly the same but the link shows that again the miss rule is subject to immense controversy; Have a look at the pictures I posted in a separate replay on this blog on the same subject I think they speak for themselves.

ts_lp@yahoo.com.cn

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
              Would you like to quote the entire "exception" where the ball cannot possibly be hit, and possibly some footage so that we can see it?

Comment

I have found this on youtube, does not start from the beginning but...
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wABwCT2MyQ

[also, maybe libel laws in China are different to the UK?]

Comment

JP1. Are you saying that the red ball was impossible to hit?

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

What do you mean by that ???
                    As for cretin ( a person full of pointless information ) and morbidly obese ( Morbid Obesity is an abnormal accumulation of body fat, usually 20% or more over an individual's ideal body weight ) I don't consider either to be rude or disrespectful of Pete Williamson, a mere look at his behaviour and person will tell ( or should ) that they are very accurate in their description of Pete Williamson.

To explain again the foul and a miss rule, this is a controversial subject even amongst experienced and competent referees, the problem as I see it are the words referee and opinion to decide the rule, there has to be something better then this.

We all like to think that referees act in the best interest of the sport and without fear or favour, but the rule does allow for someone with mal intent to abuse it, he simply needs to insist that this was MY INTERPRETATION to make it correct.
                    It would be far better in situations where the snooker seems impossible to escape from to agree that this is so, if the opposing player objects he can be asked to demonstrate how he would escape the snooker, then call a foul and leave the option with either player B playing from the position of the balls or request player A to play the shot from the current position, end of argument.

I understand that the Brecel fiasco is already subject of the rules committees examination, I will watch with interest what transpires, anything that keeps our game clean and free of cheating has to be a good thing.

I do hope also that given that Luca Brecel is just 17 years of age this does not psychologically damage him, and I doubt that anyone could claim that Michael Holt has acted in a professional or courteous manner in this match, he is a disgrace to the game, that includes his stupid knuckle bash on the table rails, the rules which Pete Williamson ignored are here to stop stupid and attempted intimidating behaviour such as this, Holt is a poor loser and no loss to snooker.

The whole match was a total disaster with both Williamson and Holt coming away smelling like manure.

Comment

I understand that the Brecel fiasco is already subject of the rules committees examination, I will watch with interest what transpires, anything that keeps our game clean and free of cheating has to be a good thing.
                      To know (and publish) this, indicates that you are very very close to someone in authority. Would you care to divulge your identity please?

Comment

What do you mean by that ???
                        As for cretin ( a person full of pointless information ) and morbidly obese ( Morbid Obesity is an abnormal accumulation of body fat, usually 20% or more over an individual's ideal body weight ) I don't consider either to be rude or disrespectful of Pete Williamson, a mere look at his behaviour and person will tell ( or should ) that they are very accurate in their description of Pete Williamson.

To explain again the foul and a miss rule, this is a controversial subject even amongst experienced and competent referees, the problem as I see it are the words referee and opinion to decide the rule, there has to be something better then this.

We all like to think that referees act in the best interest of the sport and without fear or favour, but the rule does allow for someone with mal intent to abuse it, he simply needs to insist that this was MY INTERPRETATION to make it correct.
                        It would be far better in situations where the snooker seems impossible to escape from to agree that this is so, if the opposing player objects he can be asked to demonstrate how he would escape the snooker, then call a foul and leave the option with either player B playing from the position of the balls or request player A to play the shot from the current position, end of argument.

I do hope also that given that Luca Brecel is just 17 years of age this does not psychologically damage him, and I doubt that anyone could claim that Michael Holt has acted in a professional or courteous manner in this match, he is a disgrace to the game, that includes his stupid knuckle bash on the table rails, the rules which Pete Williamson ignored are here to stop stupid and attempted intimidating behaviour such as this, Holt is a poor loser and no loss to snooker.

The whole match was a total disaster with both Williamson and Holt coming away smelling like manure.
                        To start, I do think that, from my view, unfortunately the referee made a wrong decision and the Foul should not have been a Miss in the first place.
                        As for your use of certain words, dictionary definitions aside; the use of them is just rude and a personal defamation which in type/print is libel (oh crap - a dictionary definition ).
                        I mention China because your link to "yahoo.com.cn" is a Chinese link is it not? Which by the way I could not open.
                        Thanks for starting this thread about the Miss situation, very interesting and I will try to follow the rules committee investigation.
                        It just your personal attacks on a person and persons (Holt) that I do not like, but hey that is just me :snooker:
                        peace

Comment

Any attempted escape from a snooker which fails to hit the ball on is a miss in professional snooker. The referees are not allowed any discretion, the rule is subject to a World Snooker directive affectionately known as the Must Hit directive for Pro Snooker.

The referee had no choice but to call a Miss and every single pro referee would have done the same.
                          Last edited by Gerry Armstrong; 13 April 2012, 10:30 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Thanks for that.

Comment

I am sorry but I cant help you with your personal matters or the attitude you display, each to his own, as for Michael Holt I would be very surprised to find any tour player that has anything good to say about him, if you consider my comments rude you had better not read what Ronnie O Sullivan and Mark Williams think of Holt.
                              What you must consider is this, snooker was in the decline prior to Barry Hearn's involvement, it was Barry that negotiated the China, Poland, German, Belgian. Austrian, Australian contracts, and if we want to have an international game, broadcast to audiences world wide we need to get as far away from the uneducated UK bover boy image of the school truant pre disposed to stupidity because he chose snooker over an education image snooker unfortunately has suffered from for many years.
                              And Michael Holt fits that undesirable mould to a T, there is no room for cue banging or insulting language or knuckle bashing in the game any more, if that is how Holt wants to conduct himself he should stay in his miners welfare club and play for peanuts.
                              As for the foul and miss rule there must be a decision and change of that rule that takes the issue out of the referees hands, it is very much like the motoring and traffic laws, UK police are now even targeting fatigue in drivers, no one has told me how the cops will be able to diagnose if and to what degree a driver is fatigued, they are not doctors, but the law gives them the right to book you now for fatigue, likewise it's not illegal in the UK to eat and drive as opposed to use your mobile whilst driving however police have found a way around that if they see you eating while you drive they will book you for dangerous driving, which is illegal, we don't ever want to see ambiguity and stretching of rules like this in snooker, because they will kill the game.

Take tennis, a verbal outburst directed at the umpire cost Serena Williams the game at the US open, Holts behaviour was worse.

To start, I do think that, from my view, unfortunately the referee made a wrong decision and the Foul should not have been a Miss in the first place.
                              As for your use of certain words, dictionary definitions aside; the use of them is just rude and a personal defamation which in type/print is libel (oh crap - a dictionary definition ).
                              I mention China because your link to "yahoo.com.cn" is a Chinese link is it not? Which by the way I could not open.
                              Thanks for starting this thread about the Miss situation, very interesting and I will try to follow the rules committee investigation.
                              It just your personal attacks on a person and persons (Holt) that I do not like, but hey that is just me :snooker:
                              peace

Comment

Working...
                              X