re spotted black affecting break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re spotted black affecting break

Having a game with my dad last night and he cleared up 27 to force a respot and then cut the black in (*******) to win the frame.

He then claimed his break was 34 for the frame.

Does the respot count toward a break if it's potted on the first attempt.

If so then surely that would make the highest possible break 162?

Assuming of course that someone played on when 159 - 162 behind purely from fouls and then received a free ball and cleared up with a 155 and then sliced home the respot.... sounds simple enough.

Is this theory correct to the rules of the game? I hope not, because I owe him a Carling if he's right.

In answer to your first question...the re-spotted black would not count in the break as it is technically end of frame when the final black Is potted so your dad owes you a carling......

The max possible break is 155........free ball when all reds are on the table....pot free ball and then the black...and then the remaining 15 reds and blacks..all the colours for a 155.......I'd be interested to know if it's ever been done professionally........
    You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

I'm sure it's said that Jamie Cope has knock one in during a practice game with a partner. There's a youtube video of a guy mopping one up from a set split that's pretty impressive.

There's a Jimmy White video too but seems editing to myself.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
        I'm sure it's said that Jamie Cope has knock one in during a practice game with a partner. There's a youtube video of a guy mopping one up from a set split that's pretty impressive.

There's a Jimmy White video too but seems editing to myself.
        I've got the jimmy white one.....it's an absolute shambles.......so obviously edited to suit.......made me laugh though....
        You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by fred.england View Post
          In answer to your first question...the re-spotted black would not count in the break as it is technically end of frame when the final black Is potted so your dad owes you a carling......

The max possible break is 155........free ball when all reds are on the table....pot free ball and then the black...and then the remaining 15 reds and blacks..all the colours for a 155.......I'd be interested to know if it's ever been done professionally........
          #
          highest break in a professional match is held by Jamie Burnett 148
          Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

The poitting of the black to tie the frame ends the break. Because the scores are then level, then the black is respotted. It could equally have been you that had to play the first stroke on the respotted black.

The way I explain it, is if you're on a break, then you have an automatic right to carry on and play the next stroke. If the black is respotted then you have to toss a coin to decide who has choice as to who plays next.

My late friend John Posner, officiated the highest break recorded in a match... by Wally West back in the 70s. He made a 151.

Comment

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Alex Higgins had a 155 break, maybe an urban myth....

Comment

Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
                I seem to remember reading somewhere that Alex Higgins had a 155 break, maybe an urban myth....
                He did make a 16 red 146 in an exhibition match once.

Say you had to give someone 162 start, got a free ball from a foul worth 7 points and made a 16 red 155 and left the cue ball on the green spot after potting the black, won the toss and cut the respot black in from the green spot whithout ever having moved the cue ball. I suppose you could claim a 162 continuous points total but it wouldn't be recognised as a break.
                Last edited by vmax4steve; 20 April 2012, 12:02 PM.

Comment

also theres a toss of the coin which makes iot a new visit aswell
                  Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

Working...
                  X