Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Is Ding going to be the most successful player since Hendry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Is Ding going to be the most successful player since Hendry?

Is Ding Junhui going to be the most successful player since Stephen Hendry? What do you think?

I think so far it sure looks like it. Every part of his game is strong, break building, safety, temper you name it. He has won ranking tournaments aganst "the big three": Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis and Ronnie O'Sullivan. He has made a 147 on TV. And he's still so young, remember.
    Yes
    0.00%
    Maybe
    0.00%
    Probably not
    0.00%
    No
    100.00%

Originally Posted by hegeland
    Is Ding Junhui going to be the most successful player since Stephen Hendry? What do you think?

I think so far it sure looks like it. Every part of his game is strong, break building, safety, temper you name it. He has won ranking tournaments aganst "the big three": Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis and Ronnie O'Sullivan. He has made a 147 on TV. And he's still so young, remember.
    Totally agree!
    Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

At this stage Ding is surpassing Hendry's records as Ding is :
      the youngest player to win 3 ranking tournaments
      youngest player to make a 147 in a televised match
      He isnt even 20 years old, and i believe he has 2 chances to steal Hendry's record and become the youngest ever world champion. But i suppose the question is can he sustain this level over say a ten year period like Hendry did ?
      Like you say Hegeland, Ding has everything and more a top player needs for huge success. The only thing that stands in his way is that there is much more "strength and depth" of opposition now than what Hendry faced during his glory years.
      If not for that he would be a definate, but i make him a maybe now.
      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Yeah I doubt he'll be more successful as Hendry, but I think he will be the most successful since.

Comment

He would have to win at least 6 world championships and 7 UK titles to beat Davis. If I take the 2 most important tournaments. Tall order. Might be that in 8 years time hes disappeared into mystery land!

Comment

Could be, but I personally doubt it. The kid got bottle.

Comment

If he is free to do what he likes, he could definite beat Hendries records. In the back of my mind it seems he is somehow chained to The Chinese regime. The obstacle that could block him from winning anything he wants. It costed him The UK last time.

Originally Posted by hegeland
              Could be, but I personally doubt it. The kid got bottle.

Comment

id say its to early to tell

hes got great potential, but if you are meaning success in terms of title wins etc, then he may struggle as ronnie hasnt achieved this and he makes the game look easy at times.

Comment

Ding's a magnificent player. But to be themost successful player since Hendry he will have to match the likes of O'Sullivan and Williams and win at least 2 world titles.

I think he has the potential to win 3. So the answer to your question could be yes.

Comment

Well said. My comparison with Davis was a bit out of order as Davis preceeded Hendry. In that respect, Ding could be the best since Hendry. 3 or more world titles are within his reach.

Originally Posted by Stunrunthru
                    Ding's a magnificent player. But to be themost successful player since Hendry he will have to match the likes of O'Sullivan and Williams and win at least 2 world titles.

I think he has the potential to win 3. So the answer to your question could be yes.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stunrunthru

Thank you for clarifying what I was asking about.

Comment

I went for 'Yes'. I'm afraid I can't give you a good reason for it, but almost every time I see him play I happen to think that this kid's gonna make it. Sorry for not coming up with anything better.

Comment

Originally Posted by austrian_girl
                          but almost every time I see him play I happen to think that this kid's gonna make it.
                          that is a good reason for voting yes, if its your thoughts.

Comment

Thanks, semih! I've seen Ding play live in a few matches now. He looked impressive! Not only his snooker but also the way he acted off the table. Very even-tempered and self-balanced. Focused, also! Very good qualities, methinks, for a future star.

Come to think of it, and I've mentioned that on a couple of occasions, I hope he never plays again like he did in the Premier League against Jimmy White (I think), where he displayed a rather bad attitude. Probably just a bad day or a teenage mood swing. Hope we'll never see this Ding again, then all the doors are open to him. He just has to walk through.

Comment

Just out of interest (to the people old enough to remember). At what point did people start thinking that that kid Hendry may actually become greater than Steve Davis?

Ding has got a perfect chance to win a lot in the next few years as players like Hendry, Ebdon, Doherty are on their way out (talking purely age here) and the other young kids are still developing.

Comment

Working...
                              X