Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

world championships 2012 - tight pockets??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Nat5guns View Post
    The star tables in this years WC were tight, very tight compared to what the vast majority of people play on. I dont know why people insist that they are generous, they simply aren't. The reason people moan about the size is because the object ball can slide and drop in sometimes. But that has nothing to do with the pockets, and even with the sliding cloth the tables are very hard to play on if you aren't cueing straight. It makes me chuckle when i hear people saying that the pockets on tv are buckets, they really have no concept of reality.
    fully agreed
    Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

The star tables in this years WC were tight, very tight compared to what the vast majority of people play on. I dont know why people insist that they are generous, they simply aren't. The reason people moan about the size is because the object ball can slide and drop in sometimes. But that has nothing to do with the pockets, and even with the sliding cloth the tables are very hard to play on if you aren't cueing straight. It makes me chuckle when i hear people saying that the pockets on tv are buckets, they really have no concept of reality.
      Correct, it would be boring one visit snooker even more. Everyone likes drama frames.
      JP Majestic
      3/4
      57"
      17oz
      9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
        Correct, it would be boring one visit snooker even more. Everyone likes drama frames.
        Daffie is that you?

the game needs some breakbuilding surely
        Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

if anyone wants proof, is it so hard for someone to just get hold of an IBSF template and go to the TV tables in PTC events or whatever with a HD video camera and see if they could fit the damn template in there and if yes, how much margin there is around the template? And if the drop is at the right location of the template etc. Sounds easy to do right?

Comment

I've played on Star's , somebody open a club in Brooklyn , ny and they bought some of the tournament tables i'm not saying that are not tight but they are more easier then some old Riley's tournament tables what a club in california has them dating probably from the 80's and those one they are really tight , pin point accuracy to make a ball , cushion balls only at the right pace drops . nobody plays on those tables ,its frustrating how hard is to make a break but they are good for practice for accuracy .I can bet I would see a pro going higher then a 60 on those tables

Comment

Have you watched the video where that red played down the side cushion by Carter drops in after hitting the cushion about three inches from the pocket, played from three feet away and about a ball's width off the cushion ?
              We get this every time the WSC is on tv, commentators saying "Oh no, he's missed it" and then it drops in and then the excuses start, "it's the new cloth, it's a far jaw table this one, if you catch the near jaw they don't drop", until one does that is and then it's, "oh it must have hit a finger mark that turned it in", or "side was transmitted from the cue ball to the object ball which made it spin in off the jaw of the pocket", helping side is what Virgo calls it.
              All this is just a cover, the pockets are big, my concept of reality is what I see with my own eyes.
              Willie Thorne and Neal Foulds were commentating together on one match in this years WSC and both at one time agreed that the tables were playing easy after witnessing many shot's like Carter's red dropping in. Next day they said nothing about it, pressure from above methinks.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                Have you watched the video where that red played down the side cushion by Carter drops in after hitting the cushion about three inches from the pocket, played from three feet away and about a ball's width off the cushion ?
                We get this every time the WSC is on tv, commentators saying "Oh no, he's missed it" and then it drops in and then the excuses start, "it's the new cloth, it's a far jaw table this one, if you catch the near jaw they don't drop", until one does that is and then it's, "oh it must have hit a finger mark that turned it in", or "side was transmitted from the cue ball to the object ball which made it spin in off the jaw of the pocket", helping side is what Virgo calls it.
                All this is just a cover, the pockets are big, my concept of reality is what I see with my own eyes.
                Willie Thorne and Neal Foulds were commentating together on one match in this years WSC and both at one time agreed that the tables were playing easy after witnessing many shot's like Carter's red dropping in. Next day they said nothing about it, pressure from above methinks.
                I agree with a couple of the post above and this one, specially about the bs the commentary come up with, like you stated. They somehow forget that the watching public may not be up to the big boys standard but they still understand the basic physics of the game. I can only agree regarding Carters red, that would never drop on mine, period!..
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Pocket size definitely makes a difference the pockets at my club are pretty tight. Anything into the middle pocket played with speed comes straight back the way it came after hitting the far knuckle and a lot of the balls into the corner pockets for the black will bounce around and come back out. Sometimes even when a ball looks like its straight in somehow it will manage to miss.

Comment

Working...
                  X