high on black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high on black

hi im having a bit of trouble with high blacks i dont know where to hit the white to make it go diferent direccions , i ve been practicing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZA67elaLPI at 11:00 min but i cant seem to do it can some one explain how to do it.
    cheers.

Well if you listen to Judd's commentary he tells you exactly how to do it ??
    No magic to it, all it takes is practice to understand how much power to put into the shot

Comment

When you do that routine, make sure you're potting the black into the same part of the pocket each time and realise that when you hit the black thicker or thinner it will make a difference to the angle you get. Then as JRC says, practice, practice, practice. I would pick 1 colour and make at least 10 attempts at it before moving on, on each attempt try to strike the same place on the white - or rather, adjust where you're striking until you get it "right" then concentrate on hitting that spot with the same power. Make sure you're striking hard enough on the "stun" shots to get the required angle. If you strike it too softly it will not be stunned, but will be rolling and you wont be able to hit the yellow/brown.
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

The black practice routine is quite useful but you must have the red sitting next to the white so you're always playing the same angle. Then just practice.

The deep screw shots Judd plays are a complete waste of time, frankly. Imo, he's just showing off and illustrating his cue power. Why would you ever need to screw in and out of baulk? If you're playing for position above the baulk line then just screw back 4ft, why bother screwing back 11ft? Your average player will never be able to play this shot, no matter how hard he tries and all the time trying will be wasted when they could be practising shots they'll actually play instead.
        I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

This, especially on the vast majority of tables we have access to, those shots aren't even possible and you're just going to miss/run out of position.

It's great watching him do it, but it isn't essential and shouldn't even be considered by majority of players.

Comment

ok thanks for commenting , its the stun shots what im finding hard, to make the white come back for yellow or brown , can some tell me where im ment to hit the white . thanks

Comment

Here is some quick theory and some drills. If the cue ball has no forward or reverse spin (pure stun shot) it will stop dead if a full ball cantact is made. If it is a cut shot, the cue ball will deflect off at virtually 90 deg from the line the object ball takes.

If it has top spin it will travel straight forward on a full ball hit. On a cut shot it will travel inside the 90 deg (narrower) from the stun shot.

If it has draw spin it will travel straight back on a full ball hit. On a cut shot it will travel outside the 90 deg (wider) from the stun shot.

The drills

Place the 6 colours across the width of table in a straight line 3 or 4 inchs above or below. The colours should each be spaced 1/3 the distance between the blue and the side rail.

THE DRILLS

The Stun Shot

Use the red balls MEDIUM PACE Pot at least 10 reds straight in off the blue spot from each side of the table so that the cue ball stops dead.

Next using the same set up and same pace of stroke used above in the pure stun shot

STUN THROUGH ( stun run)

STUN 1 - Bridge 1/4 to 1/2 of a tip higher than the pure stun and pot 10 reds from each side. The cue ball should roll ahead slightly and be in line with the closest colour ball.

Next using the same set up and same pace stroke used above in the pure stun shot

STUN 2 - Bridge 1/2 to 3/4 of a tip higher than the pure stun and pot 10 reds from each side. The cue ball should roll ahead more and be in line with the middle colour ball.

Next using the same set up and same pace stroke used above in the pure stun shot

STUN 3 - Bridge 3/4 to a full tip higher than the pure stun and pot 10 reds from each side. The cue ball should roll ahead more still and be in line with the colour ball closest to the side pocket.

STUN BACK (stun draw)

NEXT do the same drill again only using bottom
              DRAW 1 - 1/4 to 1/2 tip below centre - in line with colour closest to blue spot
              DRAW 2 -1/2 to 3/4 tip below centre - in line with middle colour
              DRAW 3 - 3/4 to a full tip below centre - in line with colour closest to side pocket.

Master these and you will vastly imporve your positional play

EG
              1/2 ball cut on blue from pink side

Pure stun cue ball over the brown spot
              with STUN 1 between brown and green
              with STUN 2 over the green
              with STUN 3 towards the corner

With DRAW 1 between brown and yellow
              With DRAW 2 over yellow spot
              With DRAW 3 towards the corner

The same angles of travel after a pot work anywhere on the table. You just need to apply what you learned in practice on this basic positional practice drill

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker2011 View Post
                hi im having a bit of trouble with high blacks i dont know where to hit the white to make it go diferent direccions , i ve been practicing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZA67elaLPI at 11:00 min but i cant seem to do it can some one explain how to do it.
                cheers.
                The easiest way to think of this is this:

If you pot the black in the same part of the pocket each time only 3 things will change the angle of the cue ball.

1. The height you hit the white.
                2. The pace you put into the shot.
                3. Any intentional or unitentional side reacting off the back cushion.

To get the cannons you don't need side from that angle so don't use it, simply vary the height you strike the white from top to bottom and watch the angle the ball comes off. Lower down the white will throw the cue ball wider.

Pace is also important as the harder you hit the shot the wider the angle will also throw, centre ball striking with stun is just controlling the height and pace you hit the white. you'll get it.

Comment

Working...
                X