Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what tip did Les Dodd put on for Ronnie for his final in World championship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bigger ones just seem to be more consistent. Less bad ones.

Every tip is different when it comes to elks, just got to keep trying until you get one you like. 11mm seem to have more good ones than 10mm. Why? I dont know.
    Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
      Why do you always use 11mm tips Andrew?
      quite simply because experience tells me they are more consistent across every brand.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Wish I'd bought a box of 11mm elks not 10mm now then Andrew lol

Comment

Still I bought them from you so at least I know they're genuine

Comment

Easiest way to fit a tip (Mr Wooldridge has a video guide on here of course and may disagree), is to plop a big drop of superglue gel on to the middle of the shaft end. Put the tip on top, and rotate it. This will move the glue outwards in a gentle fashion. Aim to leave about 1mm of gel between the tip and shaft. Because you've used so much, you have time to reposition the tip using a blade or finger, so it's dead central. Rotating the cue will tell you if it's plumb. Those used to putting a tiny amount on and compressing immediately will find this method odd, but persist. You may get some gel on to the ferrule, so tape it beforehand. Now leave the cue perfectly upright in an umbrella stand or something similar. The glue dries itself out over an hour or so, sucking the tip and ferrule/shaft together, leaving a near vacuum fit with no air pockets or gaps. This tip will not fall off, no matter how hard you hit the ball. No clamps, no forcing the tip down with your thumb and glueing your thumb in the process, no turning the cue upside down and risk damaging the shaft. Cut and shape the tip with a scalpal, preferably a Swann Morton metal handled type; much better than a Stanley knife, less errors and less chance of damage. Use a concave tip shaper to dome your tip. It doesn't matter if the tip is 20mm, the tip shaper has a carbide coating and can handle anything, it's a breeze. ADR probably has one on his ebay site, there's plenty around.
            Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

* I'm still amazed that Ronnie used an elk. Maybe Hendry told him to do so? I find this odd, laminated tips produce more spin, and yet, he cleared up magnificantly for that break of 92. Maybe I've missed something? How can a tip 1/10th of the price of a laminated Kamui/Phoenix/Talisman be a better choice? Then again, Ronnie has reigned in his game, ala Hendry, so perhaps that's why he didn't need something to hit the ball like the big hitters? I can't believe he used an elk. Those tables are fast though, maybe an elk is all one needs at the crucible?
              Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                ...laminated tips produce more spin...
                I prefer laminated tips, but this could not possibly be true. They certainly keep the shape better, may last longer and may be more consistent. But to produce more spin? Come on, that ability comes only from one's cue action and nothing else. Ronnie could use any tip he wanted. But if he used Elks for a very long time and won many titles with them, why would he change? Simply switching to Kamui/Moori or whatever would not make him a better player.

Comment

Working...
                X