Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what tip did Les Dodd put on for Ronnie for his final in World championship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what tip did Les Dodd put on for Ronnie for his final in World championship?

Thanks, just curious to know

As i know an Elkmaster.
    mind control > body control > cue control > ball control

Comment

http://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/so...1022-30934344/
      H.b.142

Comment

wow! starting at a 13mm and cutting down, that takes skill to get it just right, well done Les Dodd.
        Does anyone know what size ferrule/tip Ronnie plays with, i.e what size Les had to cut the 13mm down to?
        cheers
        Last edited by DeanH; 22 May 2012, 10:32 AM.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

ADR recommeded the 11mm elks as they were more consistent than the 10mm ones, maybe the 13mm are even better and thats why Les uses them.
          Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

During my early cue experiences, I fitted a 12 or 13mm elk to a 8mm tip and it was amazing. Certainly the best ever elk I have used.

This came up in my conversation with ADR the other week and he does recommend the 11mm but I reckoned the larger tips were better and asked his experience on it.

I may well test this theory and purchase some large elks and blue diamonds. If i do, ill let you guys my thoughts.

Comment

Thats a bit of a co-incidence, as I've just this second put a 13mm Blue Diamond on my 10 mm Trev ferrule, as I prefer to cut the tip at the sides rather than trying to sit a 10mm tip on a 10mm ferrule which if you don't get right first time can turn messy. Couple of hours and a trim and all will be good. :-)
              "It might not be on stats or titles but in terms of talent and the ability to play snooker erm......he's the best" Hendry's humbled words on Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Comment

Originally Posted by James Wattashot View Post
                Thats a bit of a co-incidence, as I've just this second put a 13mm Blue Diamond on my 10 mm Trev ferrule, as I prefer to cut the tip at the sides rather than trying to sit a 10mm tip on a 10mm ferrule which if you don't get right first time can turn messy. Couple of hours and a trim and all will be good. :-)
                Correct, I put 10mm Elks on my 9.5 tip and thats even tricky. Maybe 11mm is the way to go for a couple of reasons then..
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

I recently retipped my wife's cue with a HerculesH2 which were 13mm onto her 9.5mm ferrule and I found it very difficult to get the top of the curve aligned correctly with ferrule. I am not the most profficient tip-fitter but have done a few in my time and working with such a large tip was tricky. Anyone know of any "tips" for fitting these and getting the top of the curve aligned nicely?
                  cheers
                  Last edited by DeanH; 22 May 2012, 03:34 PM.
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hi Dean the knack I use is to lie the shaft on its side and cut the dome of the tip clean off (as they are usually massive), leaving 3-4mm of leather and then shape up with a small block and some medium sandpaper.
                    A good knack for this is to turn the cue and as you're turning it in one direction, move the sand block against that direction, so if you're right handed- with the joint to you're left and the tip to you're right in front of you, spin the cue as if it is rolling away from you and using the sandpaper and block sand down towards the floor on the side of the tip nearest you, it only needs to be done lightly and still needs a bit of care but it usually ends up with a perfectly symmetrical tip and takes no time at all.

Works great for me, I need to get a video together as I think I've got a good little way tipping a cue now, together with a great little device for putting a 10mm tip perfectly onto a 10mm ferrule, but I still far prefer doing it this way- hope thats helped a little.
                    "It might not be on stats or titles but in terms of talent and the ability to play snooker erm......he's the best" Hendry's humbled words on Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Comment

i always use 11mm - 13mm would be a bit too thick for my taste.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

13mm is considered big? My tip is much bigger than 13mm ride:.

Comment

Why do you always use 11mm tips Andrew?

Comment

yea 11mm elk master tip is the way to go. i have been using 11mm like pass 15 years.its perfect for compress and perfect thickness after cutting and shaping. ^^

Comment

i am amazed.
                              it will take a lot of work to trim it down, and i mean the thickness.

someone please enlighten me why a bigger elk would be better than a small one-- are they produced differently or what?

Comment

Working...
                              X