Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood bed vs Slate bed

Hi guys,

Has anyone ever played on a wood bed snooker table??
    Does the cueball react in the same way as it would do on slate? Do shots tend to "drift" more?

I'm looking to get a 9 foot table for home practice, and can't decide whether the slate is worth the extra money or not.

Cheers

Bump....Bump

Comment

I'd say slate bed for the simple fact that every club I've been to has slate bed tables and of course the best table money can buy are always going to be slate bed. When you're spending a lot on a snooker table you may aswell make sure it's a good one.

Comment

Can you even get wood beds on a 9ft table?

Comment

The ones I've seen are typically compressed chipboard with a melamine layer for hardness, under the cloth. They warp over time, the glue changes over time, and they have very little resale value. To make a wood bed that can perform like slate would be more expensive than slate, so what's the point?

It's an interesting topic to raise though OP, and I wonder if manufacturers have tried other stones for the bed. I know of at least two local tables (one snooker, one pool), where the slate has warped, though quite minor, but roll-off is present nonetheless. The folk who play those tables know them from new, and they were as flat as the proverbial pancake to begin with, and now they can't be levelled. And it's not down to the frames either.

Perhaps an inch of granite is the ultimate bed? Rock hard!
          Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Slate. Wood bed will warp, certainly in heat. The extra money will certainly be worth it.

Comment

Yeah, there's a 9 foot wood bed on eBay at the moment - hence the question!

I think the warping of wooden bed tables is well known. BUT, leaving that aside for a second, would it otherwise play normally?
              I've only ever played on slate tables, and concerned if I start practicing on wood, then my "touch" will change to reflect how the balls react on a wooden surface.
              If however, the balls react in exactly the same way, I'll probably go for wood - mainly so I can fold it away when not in use, and keep the missus happy(ish)!

Comment

Working...
              X