Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with cue info please

hi everyone,

i have a few cues but there all varnished and sticky which don't glide over your hand. I have cleaned them with a damp cloth it helps for a bit but soon become sticky again.
    Whats the best way to cure this problem? keep cleaning them regularly or sand varnish off or linseed oil.

Also please is linseed oil safe to use?

I am a waiting some tips to is players choice elkmasters?

thank you
    hope to have reply soon

Hi poolplayer8, welcome to TSF
    If you have a look in the Cues section of this forum you will find many threads already concerning sticky cues, and see the following:
    http://www.handmadecues.com/info/20-cuecare.htm
    "cleaned them with a damp cloth" I am sure this cloth was just barely damp, but the buffing with a dry cloth is the key.

Linseed oil is safe and is a traditional treatment for wood for centuries. There are basically two types of linseed oil, raw and boiled; generally most people will say use the raw (I do) as it does not contain artificial dryers as the boiled does, not that this will harm the wood, just peoples preference I suppose.
    As you will see from the above article and the other threads, the major tip is not to apply too much oil at each application, you will be surprised how little oil on a cloth/paper-towel will coat a cue easily. Wipe off with a dry cloth (paper-towel) and allow to dry and then buff. Simples
    Now if the cues are varnished, oiling them wont harm them but the oil will not get to the wood and you can get a smooth result but again it wont last long.
    Removing the varnish, this is your choice, either do it yourself or get a cuemaker/doctor to do it for you.
    I have seen some people's attempts to "remove" the varnish and they must have been using an wire-wheel at 3,000rpm!
    Where abouts are you located, TSF members may know of someone near you who could help if you like?
    Elkmasters are a very popular choice of tip, again in the cue section (I think) there are many threads on this subject, but generally it comes down to personal experience and preference.
    cheers
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks m8 for the help and links.

Comment

I have removed the varnish from a cue. I have few cues I would like to sort out but trying one at a time.

I used extra fine wet and dry paper to remove the varnish. So is it best to coat the cue with linseed oil, leave for few hours or overnight to soak in and dry? Then do i repeat the above process again.

Is linseed oil safe as it can spontaneous combust? Whats best to use and dispose of safely

Thanks so much

Comment

Before you apply a coat, get some extremely fine sandpaper, 1000,2000 or 3000 and give the shaft a nice fine rubbing.
          Raw linseed oil, tip the bottle to the cloth or paper-towell, once or twice, run this spot of oil on the cue, getting an even coating all over.
          A clean dry cloth or paper towell, wipe up and down the cue to remove any excess.
          Allow to dry, over night.
          You may find with bear wood, the oil may soak straight in and will be dry to the touch sooner.
          Give the cue a vigorous buff with a dry cloth. Check for any dry patches.
          You can apply a light coat again, repeat as above.
          After a varnish removal, maybe two or three coats could be enough for the first time.
          But may need more after some play time (depends on usage).
          Again one or two very light coats will get a good finish, then should be good for 6months or so (depending on usage).

Any oil can be dangerous; as to spontaneous combustion, I have been doing the odd cue oiling for many years and as I do not have a bin full of oil soaked rags/towells, I have not had a problem.
          I believe it is more the quality of cloths/towells that a cuemaker/doctor may have in their bins that is the most likely suspect.
          But if you are unsure, just leave the cloth/towell outside to dry, in a safe place.
          Cheers
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

thanks for all replys been a very helpful forum.

Ive removed the varnish with extra fine sandpaper, put 1 coat of linseed oil and cue looks bit yellow. After 1st time varnish removal shall I stay at 1 coat or few more?.

Comment

Working...
            X