the difference between balls,help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the difference between balls,help!

hi whats the differnce between the aramith balls that cost 189£ and the ones that cost 65£ , because ive got the 65 ones and i was wondering do they play very diferent ? and shoult i get the 189 ones f i want to improve? thanks . see the balls here: http://www.johnparrottcuesports.com/category.php?id=17

the weight mainly... 1g and tournament are around 143 g,where as the cheaper are around 126g. the 1 g ones are all within 1g of each other (as the name suggests) the tounament ones are within 3g of each other i belive.
    H.b.142

Comment

Not sure where you're getting your prices but a quick search on the net gave this as the top result: http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...ker_balls.html

The Tournament Champion balls (those recommended for the serious player) are £110, whilst the cheaper (lighter) Premier sets are £59.

Aramith also now do these: http://www.saluc.com/html/billiard/index.php?idlien=42 The tolerance is just 1gm across the set (ie heaviest ball is no more than 1g heavier than the lightest in the set), but not sure what the price is. Unless you're a pro, I'm not sure it's worth the extra dosh.

Comment

My right one is slightly bigger than my left and they cost me nothing, lo
        Last edited by cazmac1; 2 July 2012, 06:14 PM. Reason: talking balls

Comment

Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
          the weight mainly... 1g and tournament are around 143 g,where as the cheaper are around 126g. the 1 g ones are all within 1g of each other (as the name suggests) the tounament ones are within 3g of each other i belive.
          The 1g is just a marketing scam, I've owned two sets and weighed them both and they were all within a gram of each other. Your now paying extra for what you should expect anyway.

Comment

For the price you also get the aluminium carry instead of a cardboard box.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              i do like the case but not worth the extra cash.

Comment

How about the black box super Crystal ball set? Are the heavier than TC?

Comment

The Super Crystalate snooker set are the same weight range as the Tournament Champions, 139-143g with 3g difference.

Comment

I agree with cazmac here. My set of TC Pro Cup balls are all within 1gm across the set, median about 141.5gm and my 1G balls are the same with the median at 141.4gm although I have a string on here regarding some cracks I've noticed in my new set of 1G balls.

Aramith responded today and wanted to know where and when I bought the 1G set and also some pictures of the set, the case and some close-ups of the cueball. I've sent that off and I'll wait and see what they come back with. Mine were bought from John Parrott Cue Sports by a friend who was over in Sheffield in April. I hope they don't ask for the original receipt as I don't have it.

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi Terry, sorry for being predantic but Aramith "Pro Cup" set is with Tournament Champions with the Spotted Cue Ball and are 3g range;
                      the "Super Pro 1G" are the Tournament Champions with a plain white cue ball.
                      I remember reading your other thread about the cue ball being cracked, I thought you were discussing a plain white cue ball, you would have a TC SuperPro 1G set.
                      Good news that Aramith have gotten back to you, good luck with a resolution.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        I'm not that keen on the case. It looks very nice but its not very robust. The handle has just snapped off on mine. The handle is just plastic and not strong enough to carry balls which have a combined weight of about 3 kilo. I'm going to try and replace the handle with a stronger one. Guy at my club got one off e-bay and the handle is pretty good. (See link).
                        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2907362521...ht_1642wt_1004

Comment

I have both the green box aramiths and the tournament champions. The TC's are worth the extra dosh in my opinion, and i don't use the green box balls since getting the TC's.

Comment

Over here in Flanders, we call the light, cheap balls "Fisher Price balls" (but we never use them, haha)...

Comment

Personally speaking I think if your using aramith balls you need to match up the balls to the pro table conditions or it's just not going to happen, you need a fast table.

8 out of 14 tables in my club would become un playable with the heavier balls, alot of club owners opt for the heavier wearing cloths obviously from a money saving point of view.

Comment

Working...
                              X