No announcement yet.

the difference between balls,help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The heavier the balls are, the longer it will take until they stop.
    The heavier the balls are, the less they drift off line.
    That goes on every cloth, so I disagree with the above...
    The heavy balls are best on EVERY table.

Comment

Originally Posted by tomw View Post
      The heavier the balls are, the longer it will take until they stop.
      The heavier the balls are, the less they drift off line.
      That goes on every cloth, so I disagree with the above...
      The heavy balls are best on EVERY table.
      Your not wrong but physics also dictates to move something heavier you must hit it harder.

Comment

Originally Posted by dpdubai View Post
        Your not wrong but physics also dictates to move something heavier you must hit it harder.
        Don't know anything about physics but there's a couple of things I've noticed.
        1) On the club cloths you can move the lighter white about a lot easier.
        2) On the top quality cloths the heavy TC balls balls split a lot easier.
        If you play snooker seriously you should really try to play with the TC's all the time and get used to them.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
          Don't know anything about physics but there's a couple of things I've noticed.
          1) On the club cloths you can move the lighter white about a lot easier.
          2) On the top quality cloths the heavy TC balls balls split a lot easier.
          If you play snooker seriously you should really try to play with the TC's all the time and get used to them.
          Point No. 1:

On the match table you'll move the heavy white at least 2-3 x further than you can shift the light one on a club table, why make the conditions any harder?

For example, here's a shot - potting the black playing a forcing stun and bouncing the white off the back rail with next to no angle:

Match table with TC's - you can get up for the yellow easily enough.
          Club Table with Club Balls - Really, is it possible with very little angle?

Change it TC's on the club cloth with the rubber cushions and the white's dead.

Comment

My experience leads me to believe most furvently that the Aramith TC's and 1G's are the only balls worth playing with.

The old crystalite sets weren't bad but my dad's local has a newer set of them and they're utter ****e.

There are just some shots you can't play with an inferior set of balls.

Comment

Anything other than Aramith TC balls are called TOY balls where we are locally.

Playing with TC balls is like a feather shuttlecock rather than a plastic one, or a fine wine rather than plonk.

If you practice with TOY balls and then get to a final or play in a comp at a decent venue and have to play with TC balls then you'll struggle to move them, and feel like you've never picked up a cue in your life!
              I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

I like that.

I always liken it to lacing up your boots, putting on your shin pads and then going for a kick about with a plastic football you picked up out of a bin for 99p at a petrol station.

If you don't have the opportunity to use the right equipment for something, then unfortunately you are doomed to remain clueless.

Comment

Originally Posted by superman32 View Post
                  How about the black box super Crystal ball set? Are the heavier than TC?
                  i thought that the 1g balls where crystalites that were on the shelf collecting dust, get a fancy case to put them in , i think they were called super crystalite deluxe

Comment

The 1g just refers to the spread of weight between the balls.

The TC's come between 141 - 144 but to be honest, I doubt they're that far out. The 1g are within a gram of eachother at the widest tolerance.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                      I like that.

I always liken it to lacing up your boots, putting on your shin pads and then going for a kick about with a plastic football you picked up out of a bin for 99p at a petrol station.

If you don't have the opportunity to use the right equipment for something, then unfortunately you are doomed to remain clueless.
                      I completely agree if all conditions match the standard of your tournament balls then it would be silly to use ping pong balls.

But if your playing on a club table with a cloth as thick as your living room rug, standard cushions that have never been changed in the life of the table and the middle bags set forward like the old billiard tables. Your not helping shot selection with a heavier ball that's all I'm saying.

To each their own I like TC's on the right table, very few would like them with the above conditions which is what you will find in the majority of clubs we play in. A lighter set of balls is going to overcome some of the inferior aspects of the table and that's the purpose these ball's apparently serve. I'm not talking about the sets with the pool ball white's here either for the avoidance of any doubt.

Comment

My set of TCs are all 141g; except for one at 139g and one at 140g.
                        But I did not buy them as a 1g set so more than happy
                        I take them down the club and the regular guys I play insist on using them as they do play and roll much better than the club balls (make/model unknown but probably Aramith Premier which are the lighter set).
                        Last edited by DeanH; 3 July 2012, 03:01 PM.
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

But if your playing on a club table with a cloth as thick as your living room rug, standard cushions that have never been changed in the life of the table and the middle bags set forward like the old billiard tables. Your not helping shot selection with a heavier ball that's all I'm saying.
                          Completely understand what you're saying pal. Agree with you also. For me though, if there was nowhere local where I could play in decent conditions with decent equipment, I wouldn't play at all.

Then again, if I could turn back the clock to when I was a complete beginner, I would've played anywhere and with anything.

Comment

But if your playing on a club table with a cloth as thick as your living room rug, standard cushions that have never been changed in the life of the table and the middle bags set forward like the old billiard tables.
                            Completely understand what you're saying pal. Agree with you also. For me though, if there was nowhere local where I could play in decent conditions with decent equipment, I wouldn't play at all.

Then again, if I could turn back the clock to when I was a complete beginner, I would've played anywhere and with anything.

You're both right! Years ago, I would play on ripped tables, with sets of red balls of different colour,weight, chipped to death and didn't hardly bat an eyelid.

Now, however, I wouldn't support a club who didn't look after their tables/members. If you frequent a place with poor conditions then you're saying that's okay by you, and you yourself become complicit in the conditions you receive when you go to play.
                            I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post

I'm glad my points came across in the manner it was intended, cos I practice on a match table with TC balls but if I'm playing a local league game it just doesn't work due to conditions.

Comment

Working...
                              X