Free ball 'in hand'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free ball 'in hand'

Sorry to do another free ball situation but just to check if my understanding is correct.

'The cue-ball is said to be snookered when a direct stroke in a straight line to every ball on is wholly or partially obstructed by a ball or balls not on. If one or more balls on can be struck at both extreme edges free of obstruction by any ball not on, the cue-ball is not snookered.

(a) If in-hand, the cue-ball is snookered if it is obstructed as described above from all possible positions on or within the lines of the "D".

My question is :- If it is possible to hit one extreme edge of the ball on from one part of the D and then the other extreme edge from another part of the D. Is it still a free ball?.

Tony

Yes. It is a free ball if from any position you place the cue ball within the D you cannot hit both sides of a ball on. You have to be able to hit both sides from any give position of the cue ball.

Comment

Thanks for that.

Comment

Souwester - can I ask: if from any position in the D you cannot hit both sides of a ball on - Free Ball. OK with that...
        So if from ONE position in the D you CAN hit both sides of a ball on - no Free Ball - but the striker does not have to play from that position.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          Souwester - can I ask: if from any position in the D you cannot hit both sides of a ball on - Free Ball. OK with that...
          So if from ONE position in the D you CAN hit both sides of a ball on - no Free Ball - but the striker does not have to play from that position.
          Yes of course. He can play from anywhere in the D, but cannot claim a free ball if there is both-sides contact available from somewhere else within the D.

Just like, in any non-free-ball situation playing from the D, you can choose to play from tight behind the brown if you like!

Comment

Statman is correct, as usual.

Comment

Working...
            X