Long Pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Pot

What do you guys constitute a Long Pot, i.e in the "that's a very good long pot success percentage" as the TV commentators often say.
    My thoughts are anything that is over 6ft (half the table length) between cue ball and object ball, but is there an official definition?
    cheers
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Well maybe we need to add on to the definition, say "a minimum of 6ft distance between cueball and object ball, with cueball from baulk line and below"?

And other cases like "if object ball is 6" or less away from pocket, cueball should be at least 9ft away from object ball" to constitute a long pot?
    John Lim

Targets to beat: -line up 63, 78 (Nov 2012)- -practice match 67 (Nov 2012)- -competition 33 (Oct 2011)-

Comment

If the cue ball is behind the object ball close to a corner pocket and the ball was potted in the opposite corner would that be a long pot?

Comment

Steve: My thought as well
        I have always thought the "commentary" refer to distance between cue ball and object ball, but why not the scenario is no less applicable, and often a more difficult shot - which I love playing, ie. the long red to the baulk pockets from the black ball area and maintain position on the black - lovely
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I've thought about this scenario too. Although technically the distance is indeed long, I wouldn't call it a "long pot" due to the fact that there is actually less room for error since the white is near to the object ball and it is so much easier to control the white.
          John Lim

Targets to beat: -line up 63, 78 (Nov 2012)- -practice match 67 (Nov 2012)- -competition 33 (Oct 2011)-

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            Steve: My thought as well
            I have always thought the "commentary" refer to distance between cue ball and object ball, but why not the scenario is no less applicable, and often a more difficult shot - which I love playing, ie. the long red to the baulk pockets from the black ball area and maintain position on the black - lovely
            Did that when near the black last practice, but with the pink, lovely feeling.
            Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              What do you guys constitute a Long Pot, i.e in the "that's a very good long pot success percentage" as the TV commentators often say.
              My thoughts are anything that is over 6ft (half the table length) between cue ball and object ball, but is there an official definition?
              cheers
              Sounds about right to me, 1/2 the length of the table or more and more than the short side of the table. That's a good proportion.
              Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

I count a long pot as:

white in baulk knocking in any ball beyond the blue spot.

Comment

Working...
                X