cue gets constantly sticky/feels dirty often

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue gets constantly sticky/feels dirty often

it's not a cheap cue with thick varnish but it regularly gets not as smooth and slidey even a few days after cleaning with a damp cloth, anyone know any solutions as I don't feel confident applying any beeswax etc

You need to rub the cue down after every couple of hours with a damp cloth. You'll see the pros do this every session on tv.
    Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

okay cheers for the advice! and then just buff it with a dry cloth?

Comment

Originally Posted by lukeeyw View Post
        okay cheers for the advice! and then just buff it with a dry cloth?
        yes, and ensure your hands are clean and dry as well

http://www.handmadecues.com/info/20-cuecare.htm
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

thanks mate helped a lot

Comment

Luke when you get the cue i sent you
            Don't rub it with a damp cloth use a dry cloth

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              yes, and ensure your hands are clean and dry as well

http://www.handmadecues.com/info/20-cuecare.htm
              As Dean has said before, stickiness is from dirt, dust and sweat, that's why you wash your hands and so do the pros, so your bridge is clean and smooth and you don't impart dirt from the table/chalk block to hand to cue. If you buff with a dry cloth alone, you are polishing the dirt on the cue. It helps a bit, the shaft goes shiny (which some may feel looks nice) but it won't lead to ultra glide. Only a solvent will do this, because it removes the dirt and sweat, and leaves the cue in a smooth state. Using a damp cloth will also remove tiny amounts of oil in the wood, so you oil your cue every 3 months (see forum on this). You can also use meths, which really lifts the dirt, but dries the cue faster than a damp cloth will too (so more frequent oiling is necessary then). A damp cloth does not harm the wood, contrary to what many people believe, because your cue is anything up to 35% water, as is all wood in a good condition. Damp cloth, NOT a wet cloth mind.

Comment

With a new cue just finished or re-finished by the cuemaker you should NOT use a damp cloth as this will remove some of the ash filler, just a soft dry cloth. However, with an older cue you should use a DAMP cloth (not wet) and then a soft dry cloth.

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

On MWs website in his cue care section he recommends occasionally wiping with a damp (not wet) cloth and then buffing it dry with a clean cloth. I assume then that would apply to his cues when new.

Comment

If the cue is vanished rub it down with a piece of 800 wet & dry. When the vanish has been removed rub it down with a piece of 1200 wet & dry. When finished buy a can of silicone spray, spray a tissue with a little of the spray and rub down the cue. The cue will end up as smooth as a piece of glass.

Comment

Trouble with using a damp cloth is you do it too often you can get moisture in the grain
                      Which then kind of open up and you can feel it over you'd bridge
                      Once in a while doesn't hurt
                      As long as it's oiled or waxed the damp cloth is only needed rarely
                      A dry cloth and decent buff usually does the trick
                      Unless of course your one of those people that gets chalk everywhere bug the tip
                      Microfibre cloths work a treat
                      Last edited by Mick Dundee; 18 July 2012, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I occasionally clean mine with tissues and a dash of linseed oil. The oil seems to help take away the ingrained dirt and chalk along the shaft. Then use clean tissues to wipe the oil off. Otherwise use a dry cloth (microfibre) to wipe the cue regularly while playing. I don't like to let water near my cue.
                        If you know you're going to be playing in a warm, humid environment and perspiration/cue sticking is going to be a problem, try a dash of silicon spray on your cue beforehand. I only bother doing this for tournaments and usually in the summer.

Comment

Originally Posted by legod View Post
                          I occasionally clean mine with tissues and a dash of linseed oil. The oil seems to help take away the ingrained dirt and chalk along the shaft. Then use clean tissues to wipe the oil off. Otherwise use a dry cloth (microfibre) to wipe the cue regularly while playing. I don't like to let water near my cue.
                          If you know you're going to be playing in a warm, humid environment and perspiration/cue sticking is going to be a problem, try a dash of silicon spray on your cue beforehand. I only bother doing this for tournaments and usually in the summer.
                          Any particular brand of silicone spray to be recommended mate?

Comment

Snooker in the summer, OK not much of a summer so far, but the hands get sweaty and sticky very easily. Having seen Selby and Williams using a snooker glove in China recently I bit the bullet and bought myself one. Should have done this years ago, can't beat it, silky smooth bridge hand and nice and sticky grip hand, perfect.
                            BTW if your cue shaft is varnished, don't sand it off and risk scratching the wood, joint or ferrule. remove it with a paint stripper like Nitromors, does exactly what it says on the tin.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                              Snooker in the summer, OK not much of a summer so far, but the hands get sweaty and sticky very easily. Having seen Selby and Williams using a snooker glove in China recently I bit the bullet and bought myself one. Should have done this years ago, can't beat it, silky smooth bridge hand and nice and sticky grip hand, perfect.
                              BTW if your cue shaft is varnished, don't sand it off and risk scratching the wood, joint or ferrule. remove it with a paint stripper like Nitromors, does exactly what it says on the tin.
                              That is a spot on tip! Problem with heavy sanding is you always take a bit of wood and brass with the varnish, so follow Steve's advice. A final rub with some P1000 wouldn't hurt though, as the wood underneath, if varnished, probably hasn't been finished to the sort of spec we'd like. Any manufacturer that shoves varnish on, probably isn't that bothered about the shaft. In fact the best way to sort out a varnished shaft is to not buy it at all, maybe some manufacturers of 'yachts' such as Peradon would understand that this is criminal; it's not a set of stairs they're making. Rant over.

Comment

Working...
                              X