cue gets constantly sticky/feels dirty often

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
    Any particular brand of silicone spray to be recommended mate?
    Not really. You don't need much. Just spray a bit onto a tissue and wipe it down.

I've tried the snooker glove idea before but it didn't feel natural at all and I felt it became an extra distraction. Might be ok after a while of getting used to it, I suppose. Alot of snooker players would turn their nose up at anyone wearing a glove!

I think another tip was using talcum powder on your hands....not sure where I got that from (possibly Nic Barrow DVD?). I tried it but it was just messy and the effect didn't last long enough. Silicone spray seemed to keep the cue 'good' for most of the day.

Comment

Originally Posted by legod View Post
      Not really. You don't need much. Just spray a bit onto a tissue and wipe it down.

I've tried the snooker glove idea before but it didn't feel natural at all and I felt it became an extra distraction. Might be ok after a while of getting used to it, I suppose. Alot of snooker players would turn their nose up at anyone wearing a glove!

I think another tip was using talcum powder on your hands....not sure where I got that from (possibly Nic Barrow DVD?). I tried it but it was just messy and the effect didn't last long enough. Silicone spray seemed to keep the cue 'good' for most of the day.
      The talc will get into your pores and cue grain, and talc combined with sweat etc is like porridge. lol. I tried the dry microfibre towel that some folk here recommended. This leads to a 'shiny smooth' feel, compared to the damp towel, which is 'matt smooth'. The damp towel is the smoothest result of all, silky smooth. The cue glides the best using the damp towel, at least for me.

I ordered some silicone spray when you recommended it, but you know RM, it still hasn't arrived. I'm looking fwd to it if it can keep the cue clean for a whole session; saves me rubbing down every frame with a damp cloth. Practice yesterday was quite sticky and Not sure about the glove idea, they seem to be made from nylon, on ebay. Was yours made from stretch nylon?
      Last edited by Particle Physics; 25 July 2012, 07:14 AM.
      Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

cue gets constantly sticky/feels dirty often

Go to halfords
        Dash dandy or that type of stuff is a siliconespray smells nice too
        Mmm lemony fresh

Comment

I've tried the snooker glove idea before but it didn't feel natural at all and I felt it became an extra distraction. Might be ok after a while of getting used to it, I suppose. A lot of snooker players would turn their nose up at anyone wearing a glove!
          Turn their nose up indeed, what a pathetic attitude to problem solving. I beat the best player in my division last week while wearing my glove for the first time in the league. He plays with a maple cue and was constantly wiping it down on a hot sticky night. Asked to have a try with it after the frame and liked it because it worked. The yanks have been using them for donkey's years for pool, and they all use maple cues as well. I doubt it would be neccessary in the winter but if I grow to get used to it I will use it all the time.
          I am willing to bet that if any player wins the WSC wearing one then there will be an awful lot of you who will follow suit.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
            Turn their nose up indeed, what a pathetic attitude to problem solving. I beat the best player in my division last week while wearing my glove for the first time in the league. He plays with a maple cue and was constantly wiping it down on a hot sticky night. Asked to have a try with it after the frame and liked it because it worked. The yanks have been using them for donkey's years for pool, and they all use maple cues as well. I doubt it would be neccessary in the winter but if I grow to get used to it I will use it all the time.
            I am willing to bet that if any player wins the WSC wearing one then there will be an awful lot of you who will follow suit.
            Vmax, is this the nylon/lycra style glove, found on ebay or something made of a different material?

I tried some silicone spray today. It leaves the cue squeaky smooth. If you stop the cue, there is this squeak which is kinda annoying, in a small way, but it's still a better result than a dry towel. Not as good as a damp cloth though.
            Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

.... saves me rubbing down every frame with a damp cloth......
              You don't want to be doing that mate, asking for trouble putting too much moisture onto the cue, once or twice a year is enough. If you are having problems in this horrible sticky heat you're better off washing and thoroughly drying your hands after every frame instead.
              Last edited by jrc750; 26 July 2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I occasionally clean mine with tissues and a dash of linseed oil. The oil seems to help take away the ingrained dirt and chalk along the shaft. Then use clean tissues to wipe the oil off. Otherwise use a dry cloth (microfibre) to wipe the cue regularly while playing. I don't like to let water near my cue.
                If you know you're going to be playing in a warm, humid environment and perspiration/cue sticking is going to be a problem, try a dash of silicon spray on your cue beforehand. I only bother doing this for tournaments and usually in the summer.
                I'm sure Powerglide used to sell cans of 'CueGlide' years ago and that seemed to be just silicone spray.

Comment

Vmax, is this the nylon/lycra style glove, found on ebay or something made of a different material?
                  Yes, I bought a pack of ten for a fiver, colour black, covers your thumb, index and middle finger only.

Comment

Silicone spray is very good .

Comment

I tried the silicone spray and it works wonders. I use it now whenever I
                      notice my cue getting sticky.

Comment

Working...
                      X