Hendry's spider "miss" against Murphy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hendry's spider "miss" against Murphy

In the Hendry-Murphy quarter final of the Masters, Hendry had buried the cue ball in the pack of reds and had to use the spider and various extensions (he also asked Michaela Tabb for a step ladder!) to play the black. He totally miscued it and the cue ball rolled only a few inches and didn't make contact with the black. Michaela Tabb called a foul but not a miss. Murphy came to the table, half jokingly asked her if it was a miss, but then sportingly played the next shot himself.

My question is - why was Hendry's foul not called a miss? If it had been called a miss, Murphy would have been justified in putting him back to attempt the shot again. It's quite possible that Hendry could have given away a few more points in that situation, as he clearly couldn't see exactly where his cue tip was.

I was asking the same question, but somone on another thread said a miss was called and said Murphy wasn't so mean to let Hendry to retry the shot. If hendry fouled few more times I would cost him the frame since he can hit the black full ball. If the shot is put back and Hendry did loose the frame, it could change the outcome of the match.
    ---

Comment

i think technically its not a miss as it is a professional attempt to hit a ball and he is not trying to gain any adantage by missing it its the refs call, also murphy does not want him to hit it and knock it safe so why bother putting it back.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
      X