Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker cue not straight ?

Hello,

I'm a beginner in the snooker game. I just bought a cue. (Riley Moderno 13 WAC)
    But when I lay him on the table, and roll him around, the cue tip goes up and down.
    So my cue isn't straight. Is this normal or should I return to the shop?

Greetings

Mathi, you really can't tell whether a cue is straight by rolling it on a table - all you will see is how even the taper is, ie how even it is from the thick butt end to the thin tip end ... this doesn't matter at all ...

to check if your cue is straight, put your eye near to the end of the butt and look along the length of the cue towards the tip ... then slowly rotate the cue ... if it's straight, the tip will stay still, if it's bent the tip will go round in a circle ...

hope this helps ...

Comment

So, it's quite normal that the cue isn't straight from top to bottom and it goes up and down? When I take the thin end, and roll it on the table, then my cue is 'straight'. With my eye, I can't see it go in circles

Comment

Can you pot balls with it? Then don't worry It's made from wood, it's born to bend.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mathi View Post
          So, it's quite normal that the cue isn't straight from top to bottom and it goes up and down? When I take the thin end, and roll it on the table, then my cue is 'straight'. With my eye, I can't see it go in circles
          Mathi, it's very easy to see if it's straight if you do as I suggest ... look down the cue from the butt to the tip end and slowly rotate the cue ... if the tip stays still, it's straight ... if the tip goes round in a circle, it's bent ...

rolling it on a table can not tell you if it's straight ... for instance, if it has a little bump half way down the shaft then it will not roll flat but that does not mean it's bent ...

Comment

Originally Posted by Mathi View Post
            ignore the roll on the table, its akin to tyre kicking with a car..

look down the cue with your good eye and rotate it, if you dont see any bend it aint bent, if you do, then it is...

but if you play ok with it keep it, a lot of playes play with cues that go all over the place and have no problems

Comment

Most of the time there are bound to have very slight bumps when u roll it on the table, rolling the cue on the table doesn't really determine the straightness of the cue. IMHO. i guess.

Comment

Ok thanks for the replies. I'll keep him ;-) !

Comment

But a friend told me I have to hold my cue different now. He told me to roll it over the table and see when the cue tips points upwards. That's the was I have to play with it. Is this right ?

Comment

That is a way of playing with a cue with a definite bend in it as you dont notice it so much with the bend facing up . Hold the cue as you would normal , if it is bent i,m sure you,ll be the first to notice it .

Comment

If the cue is bent then rolling on the table will show the tip moving, yes BUT a cue with a taper, i.e. that is not consistent from the butt to tip, will also have a tip that could move when rolled on a table BUT it is not bent.
                      The defintitive method to check for straightness is to (as mentioned about five times previously) look down the cue from the butt to tip, gently rotating it. :snooker:
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks everyone !

Comment

Working...
                        X