question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question

Object ball is red and player pots the black ball, and after that forgets to spot it on its place. Does it count for 7+7 = 14 points foul or just 7 points foul?

There can never be a penalty of more than seven points relating to one stroke and the player will not be penalised for the referee's mistake.

Section 3 rule 7 covers your scenario:

7. Spotting Colours
    Any colour pocketed or forced off the table shall be spotted before the next stroke is made, until finally potted under Section 3 Rule 3 (g) (iii).
    (a) A player shall not be held responsible for any mistake by the referee in failing to spot correctly any ball.
    (b) If a colour is spotted in error after being potted in ascending order as per Section 3 Rule 3 (g) (iii), it shall be removed from the table without penalty when the error is discovered and play shall continue from the resulting position.
    (c) If a stroke is made with a ball or balls not correctly spotted, they will be considered to be correctly spotted for subsequent strokes. Any colour incorrectly missing from the table will be spotted:
    (i) without penalty when discovered if missing due to previous oversight;

(ii) subject to penalty if the striker played before the referee was able to effect the spotting.
    (d) If a colour has to be spotted and its own spot is occupied, it shall be placed on the highest value spot available.
    (e) If there is more than one colour to be spotted and their own spots are occupied, the highest value ball shall take precedence in order of spotting.
    Last edited by Souwester; 2 August 2012, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Hi Souwester - sorry but from my reading of the scenario is that Red is Ball On and the Black is pocketed, so that would be Foul 7 points, would it not.
      The subsequent error of not spotting the Black, would not be penalised to the player.

I think you missed a word or two out:
      "There can never be more than a penalty of seven poiints relating to one stroke "
      Last edited by DeanH; 2 August 2012, 12:53 PM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Oops. I edited that line, and obviously ballsed it up! Have now corrected it.

Yes, the pocketing of the black is a foul of seven points. The failutre to respot the black is the referee's error which won;t be penalised once subsequently corrected.
        Last edited by Souwester; 2 August 2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Can I ask though a questions about not being penalised for a referee's error (you know want's coming ), that infamous occurance with Ronnie o'Sullivan where he was playing very quickly, potted the Black, the ref spotted a Red instead by accident, ROS continued to play on a Red, the ref calls foul, then replaces the Black.
          I may have recalled this incorrectly but do you recall this and what was the situation?
          cheers

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            Can I ask though a questions about not being penalised for a referee's error (you know want's coming ), that infamous occurance with Ronnie o'Sullivan where he was playing very quickly, potted the Black, the ref spotted a Red instead by accident, ROS continued to play on a Red, the ref calls foul, then replaces the Black.
            I may have recalled this incorrectly but do you recall this and what was the situation?
            cheers
            That's covered by (c)ii above.

The striker must allow the referee adequate time to spot any balls that need spotting before playing his next stroke.

There was quite a lengthy topic a few months back, and I recall pointing out there, that the last thing a referee should do in respotting a ball is to call the score, as that is usually taken as the go-ahead for the player to play his next stroke... ie that the previous stroke is complete.

Comment

thanks for the details
              cheers

Comment

Working...
              X