Timing the Shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing the Shot?

When pros like Judd play long pots with deepscrew the commentators often point out how well they time the Shot. When im playing well i can get through the ball with lots of spin while hitting the ball with a lot of pace and i understand what it feels like to time the Shot well, however what is it physically that im doing differently to time a shot Well? Thanks

Accelerating well through the cueball and not trying to stop the cue too early. Driving the grip hand through to the chest, accelerating all the way to the chest

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Actually you are keeping the tip in contact with the white for longer which means the tip grips for longer and gets more action on the cue ball.
      coaching is not just for the pros
      www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Good, useful advice by the coaches.

Just to share a bit, I find that when I am timing the shots well, the sound made when the cue tip strikes the cueball tends to be rather solid. I think the key to good timing is to accelerate through your shots.

A good example would be Ding's cue action, you can see that he employs a very positive strike for all shots, even when he is dropping the balls in.
        When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          Accelerating well through the cueball and not trying to stop the cue too early. Driving the grip hand through to the chest, accelerating all the way to the chest

Terry
          Surely this should then be described as driving through the ball ?
          Could timing the shot apply more the time between completing the feathering proceeds and striking the ball ?
          Hopefully PP will arrive shortly and clear this up for us.
          " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

?
            Hopefully PP will arrive shortly and clear this up for us.[/QUOTE]

lmao ....

Comment

hotpot:

Maybe not as PP didn't start this thread so he probably has no issues with rhythm and timing and will ignore it (haven't heard from him in awhile now, I wonder if he's still at it)

Terry
              Terry Davidson

Comment

sydney:

When I refer to 'timing' I normally use 'rhythm and timing' and it refers more to what happens during the backswing and delivery. I think when someone says 'he has great timing' (like Ronnie perhaps?) I think it really means how everything looks so smooth, with no jerking or body movement and starting the cue acceleration slow and building it up during the delivery.

Although rhythm can also refer to the actual feathers, which a lot of players will do too fast since they should be at the same speed as the final backswing. I think 'smooth' is a good definition of timing.

Terry
                Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  sydney:

When I refer to 'timing' I normally use 'rhythm and timing' and it refers more to what happens during the backswing and delivery. I think when someone says 'he has great timing' (like Ronnie perhaps?) I think it really means how everything looks so smooth, with no jerking or body movement and starting the cue acceleration slow and building it up during the delivery.

Although rhythm can also refer to the actual feathers, which a lot of players will do too fast since they should be at the same speed as the final backswing. I think 'smooth' is a good definition of timing.

Terry
                  The final backswing will always be slower than the inital feathers. ( Steve davis suggests bout half the speed but this will vary, but in 90% of the top players this is the case.)

Comment

And the Griffiths school teaches the feathers should be at the same tempo and length as the final backswing. I don't especially agree with the length thing as most of the players I have seen feather shorter than the backswing but on the tempo thing, slower feathering will lead the player to a slower backswing, which is always a good thing.

No matter what you do when feathering (and it's usually a personal choice) a slow, deliberate and smooth backswing is of great benefit for any player.

Terry
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

Most players find it easier to time the shot well by pulling the cue back slowly on the final backswing. If the backswing is fairly long it also means the cue tip has longer to gain speed before striking the white. This helps keep the tip in contact longer with the white as the tip is still accelerating.

As I said before when a player 'times' the shot well he has kept the cue tip in contact with the white for longer. This way more spin is gained with less effort. This is what you see when you watch Ronnie, Stephen lee and Shaun Murphy etc. The cue ball seems to react really well even though it is not being struck hard.

Comment

Gavin:

Great explanation and I think it's 100% correct and clear (and I wish I had thought of it!)

Terry
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

I have the odd moment! LOL

Comment

Agree, Terry, hence the reason my extra pause is working, imo. Its encouraging me to draw the cue back just that little bit more and then and on top of that I seem to play through the cue ball better, meaning as Gavin stated- "tip in contact longer with the white". Yes, and the reaction of the cue ball when it strikes the object ball is so much more prominent. Potted a dead straight green with screw in to its green pocket, the cue ball was just black side of the blue spot, the cue ball came all the way back to the black cushion ( yes, over screwed for the reds ), my point is, it felt so sweet and I did not even thump the cue ball. Pros do it all the time I know and I will be working more on it .
                            JP Majestic
                            3/4
                            57"
                            17oz
                            9.5mm Elk

Comment

Having a relaxed grip is essential on power shots , i,ve changed my grip recently and getting much more response , still strange in a match but i,m determined to stick with it .

Comment

Working...
                              X