Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss rule when you need or dont need snookers

I'm confused by this

if you are ahead on points, say 40 with just the colours left and you snooker your opponent and he misses
    you get the 4 points and can put the ball back.......so no great advantage because you're ahead anyway.

Turn this around, you are the one behind and lay a really good snooker, your opponent misses and you get 4 points
    but a miss isn't called because you still need snookers.
    Surely it should be the other way round, it would be really hard to lay 4 good snookers so why is a miss called when you dont really need snookers and a miss isn't called when you do, doesn't sound right to me.

Thanks

As far as I know, the miss rule is not applied if either of the players needs snookers. So what you mention in the first paragraph wouldn't actually happen.
    As for the second bit, the rule is the way it is precisely for that reason; players would be playing on if they needed 7 or 8 or more snookers if they thought that they could get their opponent in a spot of bother such that they could keep having the ball replaced. It'd make it boring... that's the way I see it anyway.

Comment

Originally Posted by cantpotforshíte View Post
      As far as I know, the miss rule is not applied if either of the players needs snookers. So what you mention in the first paragraph wouldn't actually happen.
      As for the second bit, the rule is the way it is precisely for that reason; players would be playing on if they needed 7 or 8 or more snookers if they thought that they could get their opponent in a spot of bother such that they could keep having the ball replaced. It'd make it boring... that's the way I see it anyway.
      Yes I think that's a good part of it.

Add to that, the fact that if either you or your opponent needs snookers, it is pretty much obvious that you will be, in almost all circumstances, trying your best to hit the ball, otherwise you will need more snookers, or your opponent will need fewer.

Comment

The first part of the Rule is very important -
        The striker must endeavour, to the best of his ability, to hit a ball on.

The referee must be satisfied that striker is playing to the best of his ability. If the striker makes no attempt to hit a ball on then a Foul ans Miss will be called regardless of the difference in scores.
        I remember Statman enforcing this part of the Rule some years ago much to the surprise of the player concerned. The player was not aware of this part of the Rule and just tapped the cue-ball to the side cushion, obviously making no attempt to hit a ball on.
        Good call.
        Some days I'm the statue.
        Some days I'm the pigeon.
        Today is a statue kind of day.

Comment

Indeed, but everyone focuses on Section 3 rule 14. The over-riding consideration of a Miss, is the definition provided in Section 2 rule 21:

A miss is when the cue-ball fails to first contact a ball on and the referee considers that the striker has not made a good enough attempt to hit a ball on.

Simples. In a nutshell, s3 r 14 goes on to say that all players are deemed good enough to be able to hit a ball on where there is a straight line to at least part of a ball on, so a miss will always be called. When snookers are required, the referee must judge each attempt based on his assessment of the difficulty of the snooker and the ability of the player.

Comment

The full miss rule is applied.

So I'm behind on points and need three snookers, I lay a great snooker and he misses, a miss isn't called because I need snookers, is that correct

Surely thats the point of getting a good snooker to try and catch up and win the frame.......... that would mean I'd have to get three good snookers to try and win??

Sorry but I'm still not that clear

Comment

Yes, that is correct. You cannot call a Miss if *EITHER* player could only draw or needed snookers before or as a result of the stroke.

Comment

Miss rule when you need or dont need snookers

Imagine the length of some frames, if you could call a miss when snookers are required. You'd be there all week lol
                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                  Imagine the length of some frames, if you could call a miss when snookers are required. You'd be there all week lol
                  Just imagine you needed to win the last frame for the title.............have you not seen some players take 10+ attempts to get out of a snooker 40+ points!! and you are the winner

Comment

It sounds like you're playing the game with the expectation that you should get 40+ points from every snooker you lay.

It's easy to see how that impression comes about when virtually everything is called a Miss in the professional game on tv. But that really isn't the way it should be seen - any more than the usual 4 points should be seen as a bonus, not a right.

Comment

Working...
                    X