Should you own up to missing a ball ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should you own up to missing a ball ?

I have always called a foul if i have accidently touched or moved a ball with my arm ,fingers ,shirt ect but in a recent league match which we were playing away so the opposing team providing the ref, while attempting a thin safety shot off the pack i think i missed the red by 1/16 " and leaving an easy pot for my opponent, i walked away angry with myself and had drink of my beer then asking the marker has he called a foul at this i looked over at my opponent who was still waiting for the foul to be called in the end he just carried on with his shot. I felt guilty and still do but i really thought my opponent whould ask or someone in the room whould have made the ref aware of his mistake .any thoughts

I'd have pointed out the ref's mistake and called it.

Comment

If you know that you missed the ball you should own up! At least if you win the game you know that you have won fair and square!

Comment

Yes, you should always call your own fouls if missed by your opponent and/or the ref, if you do not, you are plain and simple, a cheat.

Comment

What was the marker's reply to you query? But, as others have said you should have said "I did not hit that ball"
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I agree sberry and like i said i felt guilty right away and would not do it again,but as i play in a league where the miss rule rules and is not unusual to have a miss called on you after coming off three cushes and missing by a fraction of an inch ,and players asking refs for misses . i know it doesnt detract from my actions

Comment

In our league the home team provide the ref and the away team the marker

Comment

I forgot to add after the match the ref was adamant he hadnt made a mistake

Comment

Should you own up to missing a ball ?

I don't know what the question is.

You were certain you made a foul, and when it wasn't called, you didn't say anything.

It's like double hitting the white. The ref isn't always certain, but the player is, so you'd just say straight away.

So in answer to the question in the title, yes, of course. If you make a foul, it's a foul. If the ref didn't notice, then you just say "I didn't hit that mate".

But, it's only a league game snooker match, don't worry about it lol
                  WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                  Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Back home in Belfast there were certain players who played very dirty and I have fallen foul of their underhand tactics on a fair few occasions. If I'm playing a gent then yes of course I'll call it. I guess you should lead by example.

Comment

Definitely i would.

Comment

I would yeah, slightly different scenario but i hit a shot during a league match once, screwed back into the pink to release the last remaining 2 reds, i potted my ball, accomplished my goal to find the ref wasn't paying the attention he should have been, he then called a foul thinking I'd thought touched the pink with my cue! Before i had a chance to argue that i didn't the lad i was playing shot round the table like a bullet out of a gun then scored 20 points, he was well happy with the decision, i saw it in his face as he took the first shot. So, yes i would have, I'm honest when i play, practice or match, in practice if your shirt touches a ball or something trivial like that happens, we'll all own up and will probably be let off... In my story i got the s**tty end of the stick and i was furious, it got to me and well, i lost that frame...
                        :snooker:

Comment

I would of argued that one mate, if he wasn't paying attention the player should always get the benefit of the doubt.
                          I would of walked off lol, saying i am not going to play against cheats !!!

Comment

As i said literally a couple of seconds passed and the other lad took the shot.... Not a lot could have been done, this was only a couple of months ago and was my first ever match, this will not happen again, you can bank on that. I was ready to snap my cue there and then. It was just a bashed up rack cue i had at the time
                            :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                              I'd have pointed out the ref's mistake and called it.
                              same here.
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                              X