Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker Rule - help pls!

Hi,

Can anyone help answer this question which i am posting on behalf of my dad! He played a game of snooker last night and this is what happened:

There were only 2 points between him and his opponent with only the black ball left in play. My dad attempted to pot the black ball and it rolled over the bottom pocket and remained on the edge of the pocket. He then moved away from the table. His opponent got up and moved to the table when the black ball fell into the pocket before he could take a shot. What would be the outcome of this game? Many thanks

I think this needs to be dealt with by a proper referee on here, but i think if reasonable time had elapsed after your dad took his shot, then the black ball is replaced back on edge of pocket and his opponent has his turn as normal

Comment

thanks jrc750. I hope a referee will see my question and can confirm for sure.

Comment

It's an interesting one, because if it had fell after he struck the white then he would have fouled by not hitting the object ball.
        Saw this done once when hitting the cushion made the black fall, nearly ended up in a fight, never did find out who won!
        No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

The black is replaced on the edge of the pocket.
          http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            I think this needs to be dealt with by a proper referee on here, but i think if reasonable time had elapsed after your dad took his shot, then the black ball is replaced back on edge of pocket and his opponent has his turn as normal
            I think your bang on there mate....
            Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
            Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

If there was a referee, he would have to decide whether the black fell in as part of its roll from your dad's shot, or if it had rested for sufficient time that it was not part of his shot, and subsequently fell due to some sort of vibration - such as the players' footsteps around the table or a slight pull of the cloth when the player put his hand on (or lifted it from) the table.

If it's deemed part of the original shot, then obviously your dad gets 7 points and has won the frame. If it is not part of the shot but due to subsequent vibration, then it is simply replaced in its previous position on the edge of the pocket so that play can continue.

Clearly, by the sound of it, there wouldn't have been a referee for the match so the two players would have to come to agreement which way the judgement goes.

There is no set time limit, although three seconds has been suggested as a sensible gauge. But this cannot be a rigid rule because I know from experience that I've seen a ball stop briefly on the edge but somehow, be farily sure it is going to drop even if longer than three seconds has elapsed. Generally, though, 3 seconds is a good benchmark.

Comment

There is NO *official* guidance on time limit for a ball balancing on the edge of a pocket. Regarding the OP's scenario, the official wording refers to balancing 'momentarily' on the edge of a pocket, but does not define it. Three seconds is just a benchmark suggested by some referees, but it may depend on circumstances.

Here is the full rule relating to, what is often called the 'vibration' rule, although the word vibration isn't actually used these days!

9. Ball on Edge of Pocket
                When a ball falls into a pocket without being hit by another ball, and:
                (a) Being no part of any stroke in progress, it shall be replaced and any points previously scored shall count.
                (b) If it would have been hit by any ball involved in a stroke:
                (i) with no infringement of these Rules (including cases where an infringement would have occurred but for the ball falling into a pocket), all balls will be replaced and the same stroke played again, or a different stroke may be played at his discretion, by the same striker;
                (ii) if a foul is committed, the striker incurs the penalty prescribed in Section 3 Rule 10, all balls will be replaced and the next player has the usual options after a foul.
                (c) If a ball balances momentarily on the edge of a pocket and then falls in, it shall count as in the pocket and not be replaced.

Comment

Many thanks for all your replies which i'll pass on to my dad!

Comment

i'm a class three ref, souwester is always on the ball, the black would be replaced, if the folowing player then took a shot and the white was on it's way and the black fell in , due to vibration or whatever, ALL BALLS WOULD BE REPLACED, and the same stroke played again with the same player, well in a case like this it's like winnin the lottery,
                    but it could hapen, and thats the rule gentlemen'

Comment

I,m a reff and yep the black would be replaced

Comment

I'm a reff and yes the black would be replaced

Comment

Working...
                        X