Old English polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old English polish

I went to a local cue and accessories retail shop asking the boss if anything could make my cue silky smooth. He recommended using "Old English Polish" to wipe through it. I have some hesitation as not sure if it would do any harm to my cue.

Afterwards, I find this web site - http://www.oldenglishpolish.com/ and find that it's a product for wood cleaning, polishing and protecting. Just want to know if there's any advice on whether it's appropriate to use on cue or would it give a smooth feel.

Originally Posted by Samcheung001 View Post
    I went to a local cue and accessories retail shop asking the boss if anything could make my cue silky smooth. He recommended using "Old English Polish" to wipe through it. I have some hesitation as not sure if it would do any harm to my cue.

Afterwards, I find this web site - http://www.oldenglishpolish.com/ and find that it's a product for wood cleaning, polishing and protecting. Just want to know if there's any advice on whether it's appropriate to use on cue or would it give a smooth feel.
    I'd not risk it to be honest, best just using what cue makers advise, whether that be linseed oil or the likes, cheap enough for all that's needed...
    Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Your polish would be fine to start with but then it is liable to pick up dirt and become sticky.

Comment

You may find some help in these topics:

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...earchid=537049

-
        The fast and the furious,
        The slow and labourious,
        All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Bottle of linseed oil £2.50, tin of Mastercue cue finishing wax £4.75, old t shirt for rags and elbow grease £0.00

Comment

Thanks for all the advices. I may miss out one point that I should have mentioned. I actually had applied cue oil but it's after that which made the cue a bit sticky.

I've asked for advices here in other thread but even I used fine grit sand paper to try to sand off the excess left on the cue surface, it's still not as smooth as before. Therefore, I would like to look for other ways to rectify the situation.

Comment

If you sanded it you may have removed the grain filler, if so you'll need to refill the grain. If not when you apply oil rub it on with the grain leave between 10-30 minutes then wipe off all the excess oil then leave it to dry for 24-48 hours. Lightly rub with 0000 wire wool between coats and apply around 4-6 coats. Done correctly it will not be sticky and will leave your cue smooth

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                If you sanded it you may have removed the grain filler, if so you'll need to refill the grain. If not when you apply oil rub it on with the grain leave between 10-30 minutes then wipe off all the excess oil then leave it to dry for 24-48 hours. Lightly rub with 0000 wire wool between coats and apply around 4-6 coats. Done correctly it will not be sticky and will leave your cue smooth
                Thanks. I've done nearly exactly what you mentioned before but only once which means I have applied one coat only. I just doubt if the cue would be smoother if applying multiple coats.

Comment

Thanks. I've done nearly exactly what you mentioned before but only once which means I have applied one coat only. I just doubt if the cue would be smoother if applying multiple coats.
                  Nearly exactly ? Doesn't sound like it.

Did you re-filled the grain ?

after this step, you decided to do only once, what was supposed to be done 4-6 times . .

Sounds like you've done just a small bit of "what you mentioned before" . .

What have you got to lose by doing it EXACTLY as described ? Then all doubt will be either proved or or not. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Last edited by billabong; 18 October 2012, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                    Nearly exactly ? Doesn't sound like it.

Did you re-filled the grain ?

after this step, you decided to do only once, what was supposed to be done 4-6 times . .

Sounds like you've done just a small bit of "what you mentioned before" . .

What have you got to lose by doing it EXACTLY as described ? Then all doubt will be either proved or or not. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    After I applied cue oil, leave for 1 hour and then wiped the excess. Then, left for 24 hours and then buff.

My hesitation is because I doubt if applying several more times would make the cue even more sticky instead of smoother.

Comment

After I applied cue oil, leave for 1 hour and then wiped the excess. Then, left for 24 hours and then buff.

My hesitation is because I doubt if applying several more times would make the cue even more sticky instead of smoother.
                      There's only one way to find out. . Seems to work for Wooldridge, White , Owen, etc etc

What would you do if you applied 1 coat of old english polish, found the cue sticky, then the noticed the instructions told you to

build up several layers ? Would you not do it because you thought you knew better than the advise given ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                      X