Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GaryM

Hi,
    Does anyone have any information on A. E. Perry and Sons, manufacturers of snooker and billiards tables in Brighton?
    I am renovating a small cue rack made by the company and have not been able to find much about them.
    Thanks
    Gary

It might be best to ask 100-uper - he knows a great deal about manufacturers from days gone by.

Comment

some pics gary just had a perry cue mates nabbed it for playing lol

Comment

A cue went on eBay recently, I let it go - was it you got it jim?

Comment

This is not a particularly well-known company and their activities seem to have been limited to the Sussex area. The business was established in Brighton by Arthur Perry in 1913 and they initially traded from St Nicholas Road, where they remained for the next twenty years or so, before moving to Howard Terrace. The "Son" appears to have been added to the company name in the 1930's. They were eventually taken over by John Bennett & Co in 1977, who in turn become part of the Riley group in 1979.

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
            A cue went on eBay recently, I let it go - was it you got it jim?
            the ebony butted machine spliced ,yes

Comment

Lol, that seller had two cues advertised and I was so close to clicking the button on the Perry cue as it looked a player, shoulda clicked I think.

Comment

yes i took them both that day ended up with 3 cues for about 90 pound

Comment

I thought you meant this one Jim, looks a cracker
                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-HA...p2047675.l2557

Comment

Thank you very much!! Very helpful!! My first question, and I am grateful for your help.

Comment

Hi
                      Thanks for your previous information.
                      Do you know much about snooker maces? I've acquired one with an old Riley bagatelle table. I think it's original as it came with a more conventional cue of very similar design and material. Both have pine shafts and the mace head seems to be mahogany.
                      Any thoughts would be gratefully accepted.
                      Thanks,
                      Gary

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
                        This is not a particularly well-known company and their activities seem to have been limited to the Sussex area. The business was established in Brighton by Arthur Perry in 1913 and they initially traded from St Nicholas Road, where they remained for the next twenty years or so, before moving to Howard Terrace. The "Son" appears to have been added to the company name in the 1930's. They were eventually taken over by John Bennett & Co in 1977, who in turn become part of the Riley group in 1979.
                        The sons also traded as Perry Bros. throughout Sussex for many years and were fine craftsmen. I do not believe they manufactured cues which were probably made and plated to them, probably by Peradon or Riley. I have a couple in my collection though the M/S one is now thw shaft for an antique extended spider. In this area the cues are still quite common. F.

Comment

Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
                          Hi
                          Thanks for your previous information.
                          Do you know much about snooker maces? I've acquired one with an old Riley bagatelle table. I think it's original as it came with a more conventional cue of very similar design and material. Both have pine shafts and the mace head seems to be mahogany.
                          Any thoughts would be gratefully accepted.
                          Thanks,
                          Gary
                          Although the mace was extinct in billiards by the mid-1800's, it remained part of the standard equipment supplied with a bagatelle table right through the 1930's. In this respect it is probably part of the original set dating to the same time as your table.

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
                            The sons also traded as Perry Bros. throughout Sussex for many years and were fine craftsmen. I do not believe they manufactured cues which were probably made and plated to them, probably by Peradon or Riley. I have a couple in my collection though the M/S one is now thw shaft for an antique extended spider. In this area the cues are still quite common. F.
                            Thanks for the info Frank. Were they trading as Perry Bros., in living memory or is the information taken from pre-war cues?

Comment

I can certainly remember my Dad using them as Perry Bros. to fit a table in his club. I think they probably packed in late'50's early '60's.. F.

Comment

Working...
                              X