Knowing the right shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing the right shot

I have always struggled to know when to put the correct spin on The shot, is there any guidance to know when to put the correct spin on the shot?

It's trial and error i'm afraid, you'd be better getting a practice session in using only screw shots till you can judge yourself how hard, how much spin is needed to get into position...
    Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

If you ask me its either trial and error or watching the pros and always consciously trying to work out where they hit the ball to get the desired result (they often show a close up of the feathers). I am an odd player as I am far better at choosing the right shot than actually putting it into practice.

But this might help you that Terry posted a while ago.
      http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...t=Terry+degree
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by Heeley1988 View Post
        I have always struggled to know when to put the correct spin on The shot, is there any guidance to know when to put the correct spin on the shot?
        Hi Heeley, I suppose you mean side spin?

It's trial and error for me too. I find that you have to know what will happen when striking plain ball and be consistent at it before you can apply side with any amount of success. Playing with side is rather like guesswork but it gets better with experience and lots of practice.

Always risky to play with side though, even for the pros... but with good positional play, you can make a good break with just centre line striking. I use side as a last resort, for e.g. to recover from a poor position or to obtain a better scoring position.

There are some common scenarios when side is commonly applied, for e.g. wrong side of the blue, need to avoid baulk colours to get back position on the reds. These are very well explained and demonstrated in the Snooker Pro Tips coaching videos uploaded on Youtube by username neilmaxman. They have helped me loads.
        When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Working...
        X