What is timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is timing?

I often hear professional snooker players talk about 'timing' when discussing certain snooker shots.

I do not understand what they mean.

Before playing a shot, both the cue ball and object ball are stationary. I can understand that 'timing' is involved in hitting a moving object, like a tennis ball for example. But what has 'timing' got to do with hitting a stationary object?

Can someone help me to understand, please?

Recent threads specifically about timing in reverse chronological order:
    http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ghlight=timing
    http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ghlight=timing

Another which talks about timing later..
    http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...rew-with-power
    "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
    - Linus Pauling

Comment

Thanks nrage, I think I understand now.

I think 'timing' refers to doing the the various elements of a snooker stroke at the correct time. For example, things like the pause at the end of the backswing, moving the eyes from the cue-ball to the object-ball, and altering the grip strength etc.

Have I understood it correctly?

Comment

Yes, it's all of those things. And, the key to having "good" timing is sufficient practice/experience with a consistent cue action so that you just *know* internally and implicitly the exact moment the cue tip will strike the white. Knowing this allows you to time all the other aspects of your stroke.

It turns out the human brain is remarkably good at detecting and measuring incredibly short periods of time:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKPhPz5Hqqc

It's probably not all that surprising really, I would imagine this ability plays an important role in being able to judge the speed of moving objects and react to intercept them with our bodies or a bat or racket, for example.
        "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
        - Linus Pauling

Comment

Excellent information.

Thank you very much. :smile:

Comment

I demonstrated the opposite of good timing in my league match tonight!! It's a tough game when your 'game' disappears! Ho hum, back to the practice table for me, lol!

Comment

Yes it's one of those 'untouchable' elements which you just know was there when you've played a shot well, and know it wasn't when you haven't!

Comment

I always use the term timing to describe how well and seemless a player changes from the backswing to their follow through of the cue action.

The smoothness of that part of the delivery the draw back and follow through. That is what I would classify as the measurable sense of timing.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                  Yes it's one of those 'untouchable' elements which you just know was there when you've played a shot well, and know it wasn't when you haven't!
                  Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                  I always use the term timing to describe how well and seemless a player changes from the backswing to their follow through of the cue action.

The smoothness of that part of the delivery the draw back and follow through. That is what I would classify as the measurable sense of timing.
                  These comments illustrate why I think timing is all based on our ability to measure and react to tiny increments of time. You know you've played a shot well, when your brain tells you that the amount of time for each part was correct, none too long, none too short. The smoothness of delivery requires you decelerate and accelerate smoothly, which itself requires a gradually decreasing/increasing change in speed over equal increments of time, or the same change in speed over decreasing/increasing increments of time. You have to be able to feel and control the speed and/or time to do it.
                  - Linus Pauling

Comment

For me, timing is how well you accelerate the push through of your cue to achieve maximum effect on the cue ball with minimum effort...

When you are timing the shots well, it's happy days... you'd expect or rather, you simply know the pots are going in as a matter of fact and you achieve position effortlessly. But when your timing is off...... nightmarish.

I'm not sure if it can be taught and it's not like a switch where you can turn it on or off at will. It helps if you have a sound technique, practice lots and keep a positive frame of mind... :snooker:
                    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Working...
                    X