Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with rules please.

A couple of questions please if I may.

If you are playing a red, (whether you pot it or not is irrelevant for this question) you hit the red but the white catches either the blue pink or black and then goes in-off, is it 5, 6 or or 7 away or is it just the 4?

If you are snookered on all of the reds remaining on the table and the white hits the blue, the pink or the black first, is it 5, 6 or 7 away, or is it just the 4 again.

If you are playing the black and you go in-off after touching any other ball on the table, am I correct in thinking that it is still 7 away, even if the white went in-off the yellow which only has a value of 2?

I apologise if any of these questions seem stupid but my friend and I only play for fun and are not members of any leagues or competitions (we just aint good enough i'm afraid)

Thanks in advance of any help that may be offered

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
    A couple of questions please if I may.

If you are playing a red, (whether you pot it or not is irrelevant for this question) you hit the red but the white catches either the blue pink or black and then goes in-off, is it 5, 6 or or 7 away or is it just the 4?
    Just four if only the white is pocketed; if the red is pocketed, still four, if Blue,Pink,Black is pocketed, then their respoective value.

If you are snookered on all of the reds remaining on the table and the white hits the blue, the pink or the black first, is it 5, 6 or 7 away, or is it just the 4 again.
    If you hit another colour other than the ball on (in this case Red) then the foul is the value of the ball on, (four for Yellow to Brown, respective value for Blue to Black). see edit below

If you are playing the black and you go in-off after touching any other ball on the table, am I correct in thinking that it is still 7 away, even if the white went in-off the yellow which only has a value of 2?
    Yes still seven points. As you know any foul with the Yellow is four (same for the Green).

I apologise if any of these questions seem stupid but my friend and I only play for fun and are not members of any leagues or competitions (we just aint good enough i'm afraid)

Thanks in advance of any help that may be offered
    Not worries, you can download the rules from http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/RulesofSnooker
    and see section 3 part 10 Penalties which explains all the variants of the penalties.

this part starts:
    10. Penalties.
    The following acts are fouls and incur a penalty of four points unless a higher one is indicated in paragraphs (a) to (d) below. Penalties are:
    (I wont bore you with the details )
    Last edited by DeanH; 20 January 2013, 11:25 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thank you so much DeanH for your quick response. I will print it off and learn it off by heart. Thank you also for the link to the rules, this will be most useful. The rules are on the wall where we play but you need a microscope to read them. Thanks again

Comment

you are welcome bluenose
        the rules were updated in 2011* so the ones on the wall maybe slightly out of date
        the rules on the wall in my club are from the 1990s
        more decorative than real in my opinion (I have mentioned this to the club )
        ps, welcome to TSF

* the update was mainly a change to the options for a Foul and Miss clarification.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          you are welcome bluenose
          the rules were updated in 2011* so the ones on the wall maybe slightly out of date
          the rules on the wall in my club are from the 1990s
          more decorative than real in my opinion (I have mentioned this to the club )
          ps, welcome to TSF

* the update was mainly a change to the options for a Foul and Miss clarification.
          Although the rules were revised in 2011, there are relatively few changes from the blue rule book issued in September 1995. There are still plenty of pre-1995 versions of the rules in circulation in clubs, which still make reference to Angled Balls and the like. You're not *too* far adrift with the 1995 version, if that's what you have.

Comment

If you hit another colour other than the ball on (in this case Red) then the foul is the value of the ball on, (four for Yellow to Brown, respective value for Blue to Black).
            Sorry, but you're a little awry with your answer there.

If the cue ball first makes contact with other than the ball on, then the penalty will be the higher of the value of the ball on or ball concerned.

If ball on is red but the first ball the cue ball strikes is a colour (whether getting out of a snooker or not), then this is a foul. Ball on is red, so if the cue ball first strikes the blue, pink or black, your answer would indicate that the penalty is just four. I'm sure you know this isn't the case: it is in fact five, six or seven, depending on which of those three colours is hit first (the ball concerned).

Comment

I think I did see the Angled Balls rule on one of them
              But what gets me is even with the rules on the wall, people still get the basics wrong, I was have some practise recently and two older players on another table got down the black with under 7 points between them, I watched and the player ahead missed the black and he said to his opponent "you still have to pot the balck to win"!
              sigh
              Last edited by DeanH; 21 January 2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                Sorry, but you're a little awry with your answer there.

If the cue ball first makes contact with other than the ball on, then the penalty will be the higher of the value of the ball on or ball concerned.

If ball on is red but the first ball the cue ball strikes is a colour (whether getting out of a snooker or not), then this is a foul. Ball on is red, so if the cue ball first strikes the blue, pink or black, your answer would indicate that the penalty is just four. I'm sure you know this isn't the case: it is in fact five, six or seven, depending on which of those three colours is hit first (the ball concerned).
                oops, yes you are correct, it should have been "hit a ball other than the ball on" sorry bluenose, et al
                and the points will be that of the ball hit or the value of the ball on if higher than that hit

Comment

oops, yes you are correct, it should have been "hit a ball other than the ball on" sorry bluenose, et al
                  and the points will be that of the ball hit or the value of the ball on if higher than that hit
                  I think that it would be more easily understood if the wording was something like "If the cue ball first makes contact with other than the ball on, then the penalty will be the higher of the ball on or, the ball first hit"

I had a look at the rulebook link and can only say that I'm glad I am not learning to be a referee!!!!

Thank you all for all the help given.

Comment

I think that it would be more easily understood if the wording was something like "If the cue ball first makes contact with other than the ball on, then the penalty will be the higher of the ball on or, the ball first hit"

I had a look at the rulebook link and can only say that I'm glad I am not learning to be a referee!!!!

Thank you all for all the help given.
                    Just think yourself lucky you're not trying to learn the World Rules in Pool: they are truly abysmally drafted!

Comment

I used to enjoy playing pool up until about 10 years ago but that was only friendly stuff, have never been involved in league competition so will never have come up against the really nitty gritty rules.

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                        Just think yourself lucky you're not trying to learn the World Rules in Pool: they are truly abysmally drafted!
                        I second that, so full of possiblities of misunderstanding and confusion

Comment

What happen if you are left with blue, pink and black. Miscue on the blue, touch the pick and knock in the black after that. The foul point is 5 or 6 or 7?

Comment

Foul, 7 point awarded to your opponent.

Comment

Good to know too: Miscue on the blue, touch the pink, then the black.
                              6 points to your opponent, not 7 like some people might think.

Comment

Working...
                              X