Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rules concerning space around the table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
    Could you explain to me how a pool cue isn't of the traditional and generally accepted shape and form for snooker, because to me a pool cue is thin at one end and thicker at the other end, just like any other cue really.
    Well, I cannot say that this is a general consensus. But to me an american pool cue looks totally different from a snooker cue.
    I must admit I said that mainly because I HATE (US) pool cues as soon as they get near a snooker table.

I'm still hoping DawRef can fill us in since I couldn't think of any other rational reason for him to state it was a pool cue (because otherwise he might have said that it was a short cue).

Comment

A pool cue is perfectly legal if it is not too short, doesn't matter if it is made of wood, metal, carbon fibre, has mother of pearl implants and the butt is twice as thick as a snooker cue or whether it has a tip made from tree bark.

Hope that call didn't change the game, amazed nobody in the room knew enough to correct you, though I suppose arguably "the referees decision is final" could come to your rescue, even though a decision can be checked by a player.

Comment

I'm still hoping DawRef can fill us in since I couldn't think of any other rational reason for him to state it was a pool cue (because otherwise he might have said that it was a short cue).

The league to which this club is, have agreed that a 'pool cue' or other 'shortened' cue can be used to play shots. I would emphasise that it is a LEAGUE RULE. I was refereeing a County match at the time. The player concerned was a local player (his home table) and naturally assumed he could still use the 'shortened' cue ( I used the word 'pool', as the shortened cues usually found at clubs for general public use are referrred to as 'Pool Cues').
        I suppose in retrospect, I should have warned both players before the start, that the use of the 'shortened' cue would not be allowed.
        I hope this clears things up.
        You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Yes it does indeed.

Comment

Originally Posted by DawRef View Post
            The league to which this club is, have agreed that a 'pool cue' or other 'shortened' cue can be used to play shots. I would emphasise that it is a LEAGUE RULE. I was refereeing a County match at the time. The player concerned was a local player (his home table) and naturally assumed he could still use the 'shortened' cue ( I used the word 'pool', as the shortened cues usually found at clubs for general public use are referrred to as 'Pool Cues').
            I suppose in retrospect, I should have warned both players before the start, that the use of the 'shortened' cue would not be allowed.
            I hope this clears things up.
            So it was under 3ft then? That's very short, I don't think I've ever seen a cue under 3ft even in the smallest pub/pool room.
            Assume that as part of the Refs kit you have to carry, you need a tape measure or similar then?
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Old cue collector --
            Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
            (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Methinks Dawref has boobed. As long as the cue is longer than 3ft then it would be legal.

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                So it was under 3ft then? That's very short, I don't think I've ever seen a cue under 3ft even in the smallest pub/pool room.
                Assume that as part of the Refs kit you have to carry, you need a tape measure or similar then?
                That's exactly right, only illegal if the cue was in fact shorter than 36 inches, pool cue or no. The pool cues that come with the tables and that are supplied for joe public to use are over 36 inches long and would not be illegal for use in snooker whether league or county or pro tour. Even the kids cues that one can buy are 36 inches long so that they are legal for use in snooker.

So what if a player unscrewed his 3/4 jointed cue and played the shot with the shaft, would DawRef also call a foul as the cue is then a shortened one, even though over 36 inches long, I know my own 3/4 jointed playing cue has a shaft of 42 inches, butt of 20 inches and I do use just the shaft in our club where one table is right against a wall on one side and a straight shot across the table where the cue ball is tight on the cushion can't be played with a normal length cue let alone my own which is longer at 62 inches.

What DawRef should have done in this instance was to actually measure the cue concerned before making a judgement call on whether it could be used because the rules of snooker only state a cue is illegal because it is too short at less than 36 inches, shortened or pool cue doesn't enter into it at all.
                And if he didn't do this then he should man up and admit he called it wrong.

Comment

What DawRef should have done in this instance was to actually measure the cue concerned before making a judgement call on whether it could be used because the rules of snooker only state a cue is illegal because it is too short at less than 36 inches, shortened or pool cue doesn't enter into it at all.
                  Perhaps I should have stated that I knew for a fact, that this particular cue was under 3 ft. So, I was quite within my rights to call the foul.

Comment

Originally Posted by DawRef View Post
                    Perhaps I should have stated that I knew for a fact, that this particular cue was under 3 ft. So, I was quite within my rights to call the foul.
                    phew
                    thanks for the clarification :snooker:
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yes. Though usually, as well as my tournament triangle, I just carry a couple of ball markers, coin, spare pair of gloves, pen and paper, and the rule book.
                      Last edited by DawRef; 20 February 2013, 11:48 PM.

Comment

would have thought more often checking the height of tables than the length of a players cue
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

We know that that the height of the table from floor to top of the rail is 2ft 9-1/2 to 2ft 10-1/2 inches. A ref will just stand the cue against the table to check its height. Most cues are quite clearly either higher or lower than the table height and generally it is easy to see if a cue is legal or not. Its not a refs job to check all the measurements on the table with a tape measure. But if he feels something is very wrong he will bring it to the attention of the TD or club owner who has the responsibility to have the tables marked correctly

Comment

Working...
                          X