Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• match pressure

Hi all

How do you guys deal with match pressure? How do you control your nerves to make decent breaks etc. Particularly interested in hearing off those of you who suffer that badly with nerves that it really affects your game and you are unable to play anywhere near what you are capable of.

I only play local league snooker which is just 1 frame, and sometimes the odd local comp which is just best of 3's and handicapped so not used to the pressure that some of you on here play under. Sometimes i am ok and can play decent but a lot of the time i am extremely nervous, don't understand why as it's only local league crap.

Does it get easier with time and experience? Any tips or techniques that have worked for you? A lot of people have a beer but i don't drink.

Cheers

I'm the same, can pot anything in practice, but in a match/league game normally tense up and miss sitters, makes you look like an idiot
    Trying really hard to relax and play freely but i guess it all comes with experience ??

Comment

I have the same thing mate. Get stupidly nervous no matter how much I tell myself it's only a league game for a bit of fun.

I won 20 lost 6 last season, but because of the nerves I've quit. Was just driving me mad feeling that nervous all the time. Wasn't worth it for me.
      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Its league pool I play and even after more than 10 years I always struggle with nerves, all you can do is try to relax, take a deep breath compose yourself and then back yourself and believe you'll make the shot! The nerves don't go away you just learn to control them rather than them controlling you

Comment

I use drink as a remedy. I tend to play at my peak after about 3.

Comment

People can tell you anything that might help you feeling nervous before a match/league game.My own opinion about this is it comes with time/practice in these so called pressure situations. With this i mean you should be playing more small pressure games in your club or small competitions that take you out your comfort zone the more you play in these situations the more you should/will be able to handle it. Some people can play better than others when the pressure is on. Hope this helps fella.

good luck.
            Last edited by warren132; 15 September 2013, 07:50 AM.
            Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Nerves is a strange thing. Generally speaking I think when you are young you are less nervous but as you get older you get more nervous. Stress about work, family etc can introduce nerves into your life and this can spill over into your snooker. Alcohol is not the way to deal with it as through time you will just need more to have the same effect. Drugs "calmer-downers" could help in the short term but long term I think you need to find another solution. You could probably find a good book somewhere which would give tips on relaxation or maybe if you wanted to experiment with hypnosis it would be worth a try. Works for some folk.
              A little nerves isn't a bad thing. Most sports stars, entertainers etc suffer.

Comment

I suffer very badly with nerves, heart racing, trembling in the arm, and dizzyness (to the point sometimes its felt like I'm hovering over the table rather than solid on the shot). Probably made worse at times by other events in life, but the only way you can deal with it is relax (breathe slowly), be positive mentally (I've been know to get up and laugh at myself when my arms been shaking like a leaf), and put things in perspective - it's a game you're playing because you enjoy, it's not life or death, so you don't need to act like it is. I won our player of the season this year, and the league doubles title - so it only effects you as much as you let it. Don't forget the golden rule: If you don't feel 100% on any shot, get up walk away and get down on it again.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Old cue collector --
                Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by martj View Post
                  Hi all

How do you guys deal with match pressure? How do you control your nerves to make decent breaks etc. Particularly interested in hearing off those of you who suffer that badly with nerves that it really affects your game and you are unable to play anywhere near what you are capable of.

I only play local league snooker which is just 1 frame, and sometimes the odd local comp which is just best of 3's and handicapped so not used to the pressure that some of you on here play under. Sometimes i am ok and can play decent but a lot of the time i am extremely nervous, don't understand why as it's only local league crap.

Does it get easier with time and experience? Any tips or techniques that have worked for you? A lot of people have a beer but i don't drink.

Cheers
                  I was exactly the same played in the local league and lost more than won because of nerves, i never used to be able to take my practice game to a match table now i can.

The only thing thats helped me is positive self talk and playing more matches against alot better opposition eventually you will play better, i won't say you'll ever lose the nerves but as has been said you learn to channel them.

I always find now focusing 100pc on every shot and make sure you have your shot routine sorted and it almost becomes automated no slowing down or speeding up, consistancy is the key

Comment

The only really way to deal with nerves is to channel them and believe in your ability, use them to your advantage it means you care about the game imo, any negative thoughts and your already beat, the more you play in competitions the more you get used to dealing with pre match nerves.
                    Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

match pressure

Appreciate all the replies guys. This is my 3rd season playing local league, always win more than i lose but sometimes the nerves are uncontrollable to the point i'm shaking really bad. It's just so frustrating especially when i look at other ppl and they don't seem nervous at all. The most annoying thing is losing to ppl that i would never in a million years lose to if i didn't suffer with nerves so badly. It does get you to the point where you feel like jacking the game in.

I do feel a bit better knowing a lot of you seem to suffer aswell. At least i'm not alone. Will try and deal with the nerves better and control them. I've no idea how the pros deal with it on tv etc.

Thanks again for the replies.

Comment

match pressure

Tedisbill.... I feel like quitting myself at times but i'm just desperate to produce what i can under match pressure so i've got to continue to find a way.

Ppl probably say to you well you won 20/26 how can you suffer with nerves but i understand where you're coming from, i won more than i lose too but i just don't feel good on match nights at all and it's a massive struggle. Why the hell do i put myself through it all the time.

It's a shame it has forced you to quit.

Comment

Originally Posted by martj View Post
                          I do feel a bit better knowing a lot of you seem to suffer aswell. At least i'm not alone. Will try and deal with the nerves better and control them. I've no idea how the pros deal with it on tv etc.
                          although the pros are amazing, it's not uncommon for them to miss a fairly easy (for them) frame ball in the game that wins the match ... or miss a colours off-the-spots clearance under pressure ...

or new pros, the first few times on TV, tend to have a nightmare ... and then there's always Steve Davis and *that* black in the 1985 World Championship final ...

so we all suffer ... take heart from that

errr ... not implying I'm a pro by the way ... quite the opposite in fact LOL ...

Comment

how to handle the pressure? well, it's very difficult but I think the first thing to remember is it's in your mind, we are putting this pressure on ourselves by thinking thoughts such as "I should beat him/her" or "I should get this pot" or "what if I miss?" ...

I remember once a piece of advice, I can't remember who said it or where I saw it, but they said "stay in the present" ... just focus on the shot in front of you, give it 100% commitment and try not to think about anything before or after ...

it's easy to say, harder to do but it probably is the answer ...

Comment

match pressure

Spot on DandyA i think from now on i'm gonna give full concentration to the shot and blank all other thoughts etc out. It's strange cos when you don't feel nervous you don't think any of those thoughts or care who is in the room watching etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X