match pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martj:

I may play again in the future. But for now I just enjoy playing well in practice. So I'm quite happy at the moment.

It's also interesting that people have commented how in control I look during my league frames, and they just can't understand it when I tell them I feel terrible. I obviously hide it quite well lol!

Good luck anyway mate.
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Its like most sports, the game is how you respond to one chance. Once you pot balls, yes, this is the game. Handling pressure.

Comment

Sorry, I don't even know how to edit my posts. But, I have a few mindsets I go into. The best one is, and I usually do when I feel it. It's just "I want to make you look stupid." And sometimes that's even followed with denying an easy Brown for a long Blue to the corner. The reason I say that is because there are many other ways to feel than nervous.

Golf for me is the perfect example. Standing over the ball I think, "Well, no matter middle of green or along the ground, I got to play it where it lies so my next shot wants to be a good one!" It's always the next shot that's got to be good, not the one I'm standing over. I play Snooker and Billiards the same.

My point, you can be thinking so many more things than, "I got to sink it, I got to sink it!"

Comment

When I used to play League snooker and got nervous, I used to try and take some time n(only a second or two before I set up or even when my oppo was at the table) and close my eyes for a couple of seconds and make my mind go blank - it used to really help me calm down.

I think, from experience, the nerves kick in when you have a shot which you know everyone thinks you're going to pot and get position, and you know you can pot and get position, but that little voice in your head keeps saying "what if I miss?" which ends up in you not thinking about the shot (or staying in the present as DandyA put it).

Also remember that if you don't feel "right" when you're down on a shot, stand up and start your pre-shot routine again - which is the best bit of advice I ever had.

Comment

After suffering years with constipation, league snooker has thankfully cured this once and for all.

I work very hard on thinking about nothing, letting my mind go blank and going through your routine which you've honed in practice.

Remember, more people than you realise are in the same position and some of our best league players have admitted to this so try and find a couple of techniques that work for you and use them.

Generally, if you didn't care about winning, would you still be as nervous? try and get in practice mode..........
            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by martj View Post
              Hi all

How do you guys deal with match pressure? How do you control your nerves to make decent breaks etc. Particularly interested in hearing off those of you who suffer that badly with nerves that it really affects your game and you are unable to play anywhere near what you are capable of.

I only play local league snooker which is just 1 frame, and sometimes the odd local comp which is just best of 3's and handicapped so not used to the pressure that some of you on here play under. Sometimes i am ok and can play decent but a lot of the time i am extremely nervous, don't understand why as it's only local league crap.

Does it get easier with time and experience? Any tips or techniques that have worked for you? A lot of people have a beer but i don't drink.

Cheers
              Hi martj,

I just follow a pre-match routine. I will have a knock about and put my cue away about an hour or so before the match. I then Sit, relax, cup of tea/coffee but nothing to eat. I've done it for years and it seems to work for me mate. In April, I played an exhibition match against Steve Davis with over 300 spectators and I wasn't even aware of the crowd. In my recent semi-final I had about 25/30 spectators and I don't think I twitched once!! I really do put it down to my normal routine. I just hope on Sunday when I play my final, it works for me again as there are about 100 friends and family coming to watch *gulp*. Give it a try mate, it works well for me.

Fred
              You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Yep, I'm guilty too of being a bag of nerves playing Thursday night league matches:dejection:
                Especially in 1st frames of 2 missing easy pots, missing fine safety shots plus feeling hot and sweaty although that's more to do with me being 20 stone and 6' 3"(well not the height lol).
                I'm putting down to only just started playing league matches this season and hopefully over time I won't get so nervous but the sweating is a different thing.
                VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

Working...
                X