Volunteer Snooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteer Snooker

I have a copy of the 1960-1 The Billiards Association and Control Council ‘Handbook and Rules’ for English Billiards, Snooker, Volunteer Snooker and Russian Pool.

I have read the rules for Volunteer Snooker but still don’t fully understand how to play the game.

From what I can gather it is similar to normal snooker except after sinking a red ball and then a colour a player can ‘volunteer’ to sink another coloured ball (instead of a red). If the volunteered ball goes in the player scores those points but if they don’t sink the volunteered ball (penalty ball) the opponent scores the value of the missed ball.

The rules state that if any coloured ball is sunk 3 times in succession in the same turn, it shall remain off the table until after the next stroke, for which any ball nominated by the striker shall be free (rather than a penalty ball).

So if I sink a red, then a black and then volunteer to sink another black and get it in. What happens next? Can I just sink another black (with no penalty if I miss the pot) or do I need to volunteer to sink the black again and give away 7 points if I miss? Help!

Has anyone played volunteer snooker or understands the rules?

Thanks!
    Last edited by mythman69; 3 October 2013, 11:47 PM.
    My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

After potting the red and then the black you can pot another 2 blacks and then the black stays down until you pot your next ball and it would be a free shot because you have potted 3 blacks in a row that's if they were all on the spot if the first one was off the spot you can pot 4 blacks
    Last edited by Andrew watt; 4 October 2013, 12:24 AM.

Comment

So I could sink red, black (off the spot), then volunteer black, volunteer black, then free shot say blue, then volunteer blue, etc, etc?

Is that right?

Still a bit confused.
      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Yes that sounds about right the game starts off like a normal game of snooker you pot a red then after that first initial red at the start of the frame you can then pot just only colours if you like for instance 3 blacks 3 pinks 3 blacks 3 blues etc etc that's the way I know how to play it
        Last edited by Andrew watt; 4 October 2013, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X