No announcement yet.

Have completely lost my form -- wat do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting comments there Terry. I'm by no means an expert or coach but for me personally, it seems to help to cue slightly towards my dominant eye. This may or may not work for shedder but i think it's worth trying. i think if he try's it he will quite quickly know if it makes a difference or not.
    Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    shredder:

There was a long and quite involved string on here regarding dominant eye theory and one of the conclusions was that a player might not have to sight out of the dominant eye as long as his vision is good enough in the other eye he can then use that as his sighting eye. I am right-handed and right eye dominant but my vision is better in my left eye and I use that for sighting and there are a fair few right-handed pros who do the same.

There was a study done in the States on baseball players and the right-handed batters will normally use their left eye to sight the ball coming in. There were also stats in there which said 70% of right-handed males are right eye dominant.

So my recommendation would be to use whichever eye you have the best vision from or else whichever one you feel the most comfortable with. Normally the cue doesn't have to be right under the eye (unless you're almost blind in the other) but rather just a small amount towards the sighting eye.

Terry

Comment

I believe if you put the cue online and then drop onto it (Dell Hill style)you will automatically have your head in the right place for you ,as the brain in conjunction with the eyes will figure it out on the way down(you have to drop down at a slow pace to give it time) I have no scientific evidence for this theory, it's just something I have made up. Lol.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        I have no scientific evidence for this theory, it's just something I have made up. Lol.
        Hahahaha!

I actually laughed out loud!!
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

hi itsnoteasy , what is the del hill style you mention putting the cue onliine please can you explain in more detail thanks

Comment

There is a large video on YouTube with an ex member on here, getting coaching from Dell Hill,(well worth a look) and he basically had him putting the cue on the line of aim first and then dropping the chest down onto the cue (chest to cue he kept saying) as you are dropping straight down if you keep your eyes locked on to the ob, I think your brain will place your head on your cue in the right place for you(everybody could be slightly different ), again this is just my idea I don't think anyone else agrees with it, so it's probably nonsense lol. Everyone else seems to think you must force your vision to what you think is right instead of letting it happen naturally(no sorry not everyone but sometimes it feels like it)

Comment

itsnoteasy:

You are in good company with the thought 'bring the body to the cue, not the cue into the body'. Frank Callan states that clearly in his book and along with Del Hill many other coaches, including myself, do teach placing the cue on the line of aim first and then bringing the body onto the cue (while keeping the cue still of course). This is also taught by Terry & Wayne Griffiths and I do this myself on most shots.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Yes this bit is taught by most I think Terry , I just believe as you drop down and do the chest to cue part, if you are locked on to the ob you will naturally have the head eyes and cue in the right place for your vision, as the eyes and brain will have sorted it out on the way down, that's why I don't think you need to move your head or the cue, on the video the lass with the glasses had the cue so far over it was actually outside her eyes, if this is how she sees I don't know how she functions in the world lol, I certainly would take a lift off her, surely your line of vision can't be outside the width of your eyes lol, it just seems ridiculous .

Comment

a bit confused , surly you must be looking at the cue to make sure you are putting on line , but you say as you go down we are looking at the object ball contact point , please can someone explain the correct drill thanks

Comment

Eyes on the object ball until you hit the address position with your hand on the table. During feathering the eyes flick back and forth checking the line of the cue, the spot on the cueball and then to the object ball and back.

At some point between the front pause (where you check the line of aim again along the cue to the object ball) and the rear pause you move your eyes to the object ball so they are there at the time of strike.

This has been said on here over and over again but it seems some people aren't paying attention. There was only one player who insisted he looks at the cueball at the time of strike and he was wondering why he couldn't get a break over the 30's...go figure

Terry
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      This has been said on here over and over again but it seems some people aren't paying attention. There was only one player who insisted he looks at the cueball at the time of strike and he was wondering why he couldn't get a break over the 30's...go figure
                      haha! I think that's me you're talking about Terry ... although I'm not the only one who looks at the cue ball at the time of delivery ... I started doing it as an experiment but I believe in it ... played some absolutely blinding UK 8ball pool down the pub tonight, all thanks to looking at the cueball during contact ... first frame (playing doubles), hit a really stinky finish, second frame, I broke and run, third frame, it did take me 2 visits to clear d'oh ...

oh and I've hit 4 breaks of 30 or over at snooker ... two 30's and two 31's ...

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                        oh and I've hit 4 breaks of 30 or over at snooker ... two 30's and two 31's ...
                        Haha, nice

At some point between the front pause (where you check the line of aim again along the cue to the object ball) and the rear pause you move your eyes to the object ball so they are there at the time of strike.

That's awesome. Granted I'm a noob, but haven't really ever heard that. Will definitely give that a shot next time. Literally.
                        Shreddin' balls :livid:

Comment

DandyA:

Note I said 'over the 30's' and it looks like you haven't broken that one yet. We discussed this in a string awhile ago and the majority felt looking at the object ball is the way to go if you believe in hand-eye coordination.

I think it's not really valid if you're using British Pool on a very small table as a standard for looking at the cueball at the time of strike as there's a lot less room for error. But that said, people can still pot balls with their eyes closed so as long as a player remains absolutely still on the shot with eyes locked on the cueball (and he drop straight down) then he will still make the pot and likely hit the right spot on the cueball more accurately but I have my doubts about him hitting the line of aim more accurately on a snooker table.

Each to his own or whatever rings your chimes.

Terry
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                          X